Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Oulton Park on 16th May and a friend of my drove my car and commend that my car seems to lose out on top end and if I go to Donnington, I cannot keep up.(he drives the white skyline)

How can I improve my top end ?

Is it due to my exhaust? (buddy club N1)

thanks.

lawrence

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You should have someone map your ECU differently, but getting more top end is a trade off with bottom end. Something which has a small effect when running high boost is to replace your rubber intercooler piping with aluminium piping which doesn't expand or contract. You can't feel the difference, though. What did he mean by not enough top end anyway? Compared to what??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
People seem to forget that the Evo is a 4-clyinder, 2 litre engine and obviously it doesn't have the 'top end' grunt compared to a 6-clyinder, 2.6 litre engine like the Skylines.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I concure with HH6, the Evo's were designed for acceleration more than for
top end grunt!!
It is already amazing as it is all the way to 150mph, all that from
a 4 cylinder 2.0 16v turbo charged engine!!!
It is harder for an Evo to keep up over 120mph against a high performance 6 cylinder,
or v8/v12 because the latter peak more at higher rpm, therefore
being less stressed over 120mph!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can always go for a more agressive cam profile. This will give you more top end power but you will feel a big drop in low down torque. This would obviously have to be accompanied by a ECU remap. Also expect a rather un-smooth idle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have a standard Evo 6 or 5, there's no top end, reving above 6000 rpms is useless. On the other hand, you have an engine witha lot of torque that starts going immediately.
If you get an exhaust system with a bigger diameter pipe, the engine will be able to release more gas and will be able to rev higher. Get an ECU (Ralliart Sports ECU or a mapped Evolimk or Motec) with thr right size wastegate restrictor and your car will accelerate hard from 3000 to 7000 rpms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts