Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tony,

Can you do me a favour please:D, Remove the small inspection plate on top of your old transfer box and count the teeth on both gears. I just want to know what (if any;)) the difference in ratios is between it and the 1800 GSR - and amp;gt; E2 - and amp;gt; E3. All you need is an allen key and something to mark a tooth for counting:D.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thats easy enough to do, the box is just sat behind the MG so I can get to it easy.
I'll have a look and let you know.

Any info on possible causes of my mystery vibration ? The prop bush has quietended it down, but it is still there.
Really strange how I get the vibration at stationary revs...

TC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul, the answer is 24, now what was the question ?

Bah, what..both gears.

Grumble, grumble, sound of going downstairs to garage again...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, now I'm not known for my mental dexterity (or spelling) but I can only see one gear through this (tiny) inspection plate. No other plates on the unit held on by allen keys - 3, and the plate is about 2 inch by 1 inch and this sort of shape: I-

TC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tony,

You should be able to see both gears if my memory serves me:(, Although on the other hand i did have the transfer box split at one stage so that's probably where i counted the two gears!. Anyway 24 teeth does match the 1800 GSR and E2 transfer so far, But really need to know the tooth count on the other gear to see if it matches the 1.090 ratio:D.

As for your vibration, Do you mean you're getting it when the car is stopped and idling?. If so the only shaft turning in the whole drivetrain will be the input shaft. If the input shaft bearing is badly worn it will have free play (side to side), This would cause the clutch plate to be gripped off-center by the pressure plate and cause a vibration. But if this bearing was gone it make an awful racket (grinding noise) and the whole car would judder when taking up drive.
Tell me what the exact symtoms are and i'll try help you out as there can be a few causes of vibration depending on the symtoms. This is partly why i'd like to know what ratio our old transfer is, because if it is different then all i can say is i HOPE you had the rear diff changed along with the gearbox and transfer when you had the work done as they should all be matched to avoid centre diff damage:(, which wasn't the case with my car when i bought it and look what happened to ME!!:(.

Anyway let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts