Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think (I'm almost sure in fact) that you've changed the bushes on the rear (and front?) of you Evo 1, no?

If so, what symptoms were you getting before you changed 'em?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Didn't see this one earlier. http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
I changed the front and rear anti-roll bar bushes only.

Wasn't much of a symptom for the fronts becuase of how the links are attached on the E1 - the rubber looked all perished which is why I chnaged them.

The rear had the links and mounting bushes changed. Symptoms were a rattly knock from the rear as the antirollbar moved about, and if you dived into a corner the rear would lurch around as the anti-roll bar moved around in the slack space - hence my caution around castle coombe on the rally car day. Also, if I ducked under the car and grabed the anti-roll bar it could be shaken up and down.

Any good ?

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi tony my evo 2 is showing some of these symptons at the rear, id describe it as a bit scittish also on last mot they said the rear bushes were weak
what bushes did u use how mutch etc?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are two sorts. one is a typical squarish bush that wraps around the bar, the second is the link bush whhhc is in fact a short metal bar with rubber bounded bolts at the ends. About 3-4 inches long. These link the bar onto the wishbones. These make the car feel 'odd' at the rear when worn.
Its an easy check. slide under the rear of the car (mines is at land rover height :) ) and grab the anti-roll bar. It shouldn't move about.

I've the part numbers at home, I'll post them on later so you can just call and get them direct. I think they were about 10 quid for the link bushes and a few quid for the square ones.

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And fitting? Much of a chore?

My car will be up on ramps for the best part of a day soon (new exhaust), can I take advantage of this time or do the rear wheels need to be hanging?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A chore. So much that I gave up and had them done at the next service !

The bracket that holds the square bushes on is a single bolt and a hook and is a right sod. At one side it was almost impossible becuase the exhaust is also in they way.
The links should be easier but are sodding tight (on my car).

You have to do it with the suspension at running height, otherwise the anti-roll bar becomes pre-tensioned when you fit back up, and it can make it difficult to remove the old parts if the anti-roll bar is under compression (its basically a big long torsion bar spring).

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tony Im sure i need to change my bushes when i grab the back wheels i can move them a tad when i pull hard . have you got the part nos for theses? cheers ranny

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can move the back wheels !?!?!

Back and forth, up and down ? That sounds more like a seriously knackered wheel bearing or the wheel isn't bolted on right.
Its the anti-roll bar behind the wheels that moves if the bushes have gone.

I hope you just mistyped that :D , otherwise I'd get the rear wheel movement checked out asap.

I've got the part numbers at home, I'll post them up tonight.tomorrow morning.
(Watch that wheel movement, please )

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dont worry the wheels havent come off yet ! i ve had it checked out and its the bushes that are shagged,
Those part no,s would be usefull if poss. On a different note did any body get there dosh from the bbc ( top gear evo 7 day ) ?? ranny e2rs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get money of the BBC, ya right, I thought that we were doing out the goodness of you heart for them. Mwhy did you get paid, cause they didnt give me any, tight gits

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ihave fitted a set of bushes to my e2 they were the stabilizerones that bolt to the car square at one end and half round pt no mr197003. they wernt to bad to fit but i still have movement do i need the other ones you descibed and what is the part no. help ! e2rs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I lost my part number list !
Argh !

But I've got hold of something better. A workshop manual printout of the rear suspension - complete with part numbers/reference numbers.
If the bar still moves about its the inner square bushes (cheap ones) that are a pain in the backside to fit.

I'll scan this page in and mail to you.

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some man! Part of the elusive 'Workshop Manual' eh? I'm beginning to think the CC Lancer manuals are rarer only than the Magna Carta and Rosetta stone!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tony its a bit late but thanks for your email, ive had a few problems ie new clutch kit etc loads of dosh! this is another story!
Ive fitted the bushes and now a set of links but still have some movement if i pull hard on rear wheel,i can see and feel bar that bolts to car and top of suspension moving any body else had this and wots the cure??? :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.