Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Cat bypass give u a lot more noise and amp; power?

I am getting an exhaust fitted on in a few weeks time mayb,and have told my insurance company that I am getting a Exhaust Upgrade I am wondering
whether u need 2 tell the insurance company about the cat bypass, will u reckon this will invalidate my insurance if I had 2 claim.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Replacing the cat with a straight through section will reduce back pressure and thus increase performance. The exhaust note will also be slightly louder.

It is however not legal to remove the cat on a road going car if it has one fitted ;)
I think the law applies to cars manufactured after 92.

Not sure of the insurance point of view with voiding your cover, 'insbro' might be able to answer this.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I had a Magnex Down pipe, De-Cat and amp; Back Box fitted to my E6 TME and just told my insurance company that 'I have had a full Magnex Exhaust System fitted' so they can read into that what they want!

They DID ask me whether this has given the car anymore power and I said 'Yes, about 20-25BHP more' but even so they decided that there would be no rise in premium - which was nice!

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
...you can use your original cat as usual.

|EQU| and amp;gt; what about fitting a WASTE GATE BYPASS-VALVE ??? This valve will be fitted in front of the cat ..you can adjust the electronic-valve, it opens
for ex. @ full throttle or by actuating a swich :)

|EQU| and amp;gt; A friend of mine has fitted such a valve in his CRX (with 320hp) !
(car sound's like 10 lawnmower's)

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
On the legality issue , it is only a legal requirement 4 the car 2 b fitted with a CAT by the manufacturer , subsequent 2 that the CAT can b legally removed , all that is legally required is 4 the car to pass an MOT standard 4 emissions and even some tuned cars can do this WITHOUT a CAT. This applies 2 the UK only.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Evoboy, knowing that I'm going to do what I'm going to do anyway....just outta interest what are your sources for this info? feel free to post this after the weekend ;)

R

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
if you are stopped when the cops are on a purge,and do not have a cat,the fine can be up to £12,000
yes £12 grand...car is impunded until paid.
two cars were taken in manchester recently,as the owners could not afford the fine.
in some areas they take pollution VERY seiously.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I insured my old Scoob as having a full Stainless Steel De-cat exhaust fitted.

Also totally agree with EvoBoy on this one.The car does not need a CAT to be driven legally on the raod, it only needs one to pass the MOT test.

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
There was a bit of a debate on this a while back in the AA magazine regarding the new road side emissions testing and the possible fines imposed. The government/police intially wanted to impose fines as soon as they found if your car was over the emissions limits but the AA campaigned and now you will get 7-14 days to put it right. This only applies to people who are seen not to have intensionally made their system illegal, I am sure if it was found you have removed the CAT at a road side check then you would have extreme trouble wriggling out of a fine.
By the way the AA did actually say that Japanese Grey imports around the 92-94 era would actually benefit if the CAT was removed. The AA also confirm what has been said about CAT removal above. It's entirely legal to remove them so long as the car passes the MOT emissions test, the newer the car the more strict the limits are.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Following on from HH6's advice, my car (93 GSR with close on 90,000 miles) sailed through the emissions test sans cat. Of course more modern cars are tested to stricter limits but it might be worth getting your car tested at an MOT station without the cat just to see how close/far away from the limits you are.

And of course there are the people who fit fake 'cat' housings to their de-cat 'zorsts.... ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts