Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if this Grommit removal is worth doing.
Q.Is it located within the pipe work under the Black cylinder thingy at the back,right of the Engine.
Q.My car is now De-catted, Blitz filtered but still on O.E.Exhaust. Will there be any noticeable change?
Q.Is it true that this Grommit/restrictor is removed for official U.K.cars?
Q.Will it have any adverse side effects i.e. all this cut business, and could it potentially harm the Engine now or in the future?
Q.How many of you lot have done this?
T.I.A.

Stephen.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would be interested to hear how much extra boost is produced with the grommet removed ?

I have a feeling that the grommet would not have been put in place if it wasn't needed for some reason.

Would you operate an electric bar radiator if the fuse had been replaced with tin foil ?

Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have used a welder with a bolt (6mm i think) as a fuse !

removing this makes a huge improvement,the car runs smoother and stronger all thru the rev range
in 8 months ive had fuel cut no more than 5 times
now have hks defensor so dont have problem

go on,rip it out
you know you want too !!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stephen

I've taken mine out, and so has Peely. We have both had the odd fuel cut (about 4 in 3 months) but hopefully the fcd I'm going to fit will cure this. There have been no other probs with it removed for the last couple of months and it does make a difference to pick up. Easiest thing to do is to remove it and see what you think. DON'T lose it though. You can always put it back if you have any fuel cut problems.

Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the Ralliart web site, there are some reviews taken from Autocar. In the one where they are testing the Ralliart Evo6, the tester states that it is far better than the import (although I'm sure there was no connection with Ralliart lending them a long term car http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > )

The real point is this. It says that the reason for this is that Ralliart remove the grommet(s), but I'm guessing that they do not install a FCD.

When Ralliart install the stage 1 conversion (exhaust and air inlet) why don't they get fuel cuts?

Anyone out there got the answer?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am up for removing mine but even with the instructions I got from an e-groups thread I couldn't get the gromet out of the plastic thingy. If anyone in the South East feels comfortable doing it I will gladly drive over with a few tinnies as compensation for the time spent.

Steve (aka Mr not very practical).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve

Easiet way I've heard of is to use a self tapping screw and pull the grommet out with it. I used a bent over paper clip but the gommet flew out and has never been seen since.

As for whether Ralliart cars have the grommet in place, all we need to do is look at one and see. Any volunteers? I'll try and talk Kevin into looking at his Makinen on Sunday, but the Mak may be different to the GSR.

Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got a Ralliart-supplied E6 GSR and the grommet is definately in there and is definately untouched. I know this because I bored it out a bit,got fuel cut, so put a new restrictor on! Don't worry, as all your wastegate actuator rubbers rot in the UK climate, you'll soon get 1.4-1.5 bar on hard acceleration, resting at 1.3 bar constant before long. The ECU cuts the fuel nicely (not - it's a bloody great kick in the back). Mine went not too long ago - nice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve where are you based, it only takes a couple of minutes. I am near Basingstoke Hants.

Rgds Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took mine out about 6 months ago and haven't experienced any problems.

I'm not actually sure what it does though (does anyone?), as my boost guage never reads above 1.0 bar. There was a perceived increase in throttle response, but now that it seems Ralliart don't remove it (as I previously thought), I might replace it.

What exactly do Ralliart do to the 'official' cars, or is it just some sort of 'smoke and mirror' stuff to get people to pay the extra?

Steve C - why don't you wait until Aldershot to remove the grommet, then you can do a 'before and after' comparison

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SteveC........I have emailed you some instructions with photos. Hope it helps. If you haven't got them I have emailed the wrong SteveC.

Stephen....I can do the same for you if you let me know what your email address is.

All the Steves

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stephen

If you're coming on Sunday we can take the grommet out then. It only takes a few minutes and doesn't require any tools.

I sent a load of people pics and instructions about 2 months ago but if anyone else wants them e mail me.

I'll have to do them again though as I formatted my hard drive last week and forgot to back up all my mail. Oooops.

Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Adrian,
Thanks for the offer mate, I am unable to meet up on Sunday due to Domestic Commitment!
But my mate Stu with theRed Mak has got his freind (and technician)coming up Max,he is Japanese and is well Into tuning Evo's etc. His E.6 is full of Gizmo's and Gadgets and boy can it flame. He has a business in Warrington and i think its called Racetech.
Anyway he has offered to dig it out.
Cheers,
Stephen.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Steve P - got the e-mail: just what I needed, Ta.

Daryl - you're right I will need to restrain myself until after the Aldershot R/R day.

steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi all

The grommit is not removed on standard ralliart evos. But be carfull if you are running higher boost (eg removing grommit and changing exhaust and air filter) than standard you might want to replace you big end bolts for up-rated ones.

Cheers

D.G..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does the removal of the grommet just raise the boost.......or anything else ?

How much does the boost get raised by ?

What do you do if you already have a boost controller like me ?

Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok this one is easy, anyone with a boost controller or has a way of mechanically raising boost, do not remove the collet.
The collet basically allows more boost, raising boost from the OE .9 to about 1.2bar. The only trouble is that the ECU is a little slow at reigning in the boost and it allows it to hit 1.4 before it drags it down to about 1.2bar. (only on cold days,hence fuel cut)

If you have a boost controller you control this anyway. removing the collet is a quick fix it gives more boost but no control.

I have always considered this to be a little haphazard unless you have have a uprated ECU as you can increase the boost to whatever you like but if the ECU cannot compensate for the extra air coming in you will hit Det. problems.

Anyways you pays your money and take your choice

Thorak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if you have a boost controller the solonoid is redundent,so i have answered my own question by fitting it !!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts