Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this might not be interesting to many of you but just remember the time when you decided to buy your first evo! im living that now, im so excited but the local dealer doesnt have a test-drive car. Actually, they only have one last car and i dont get to test-drive it. anyway, they only sell it without warrenty! its kind of cheap but do you think i can handle it without a warrenty?? is it worthy that? just to give you a hint, my previous car was a 1998 Corvette with some mods, how would that car be different? should i go for it?

thanks for the advice

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dune

Firstly, the warranty issue. Are you going to modify the car? If so, most warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on. If you are keeping the car standard, I am sure you acn get an aftermarket warranty, even one from Mitsubishi (I have forgotten what they are called). Who is the dealer? Strange they will not offer a warranty, even though standard cars seem to be reliable.

Next, how would the car differ from what you are used to? For starters, it will handle better than you could ever imagine. Almost all testers agree on one thing - an Evo is the quickest car across country you can get. I suspect the accelaration would be similar.

Should you go for it? Depends on model and price. I suspect that you won't get much after sales from the dealer if he is offering no warranty! If it is a GSR at a good discount and you buy the Mitsubishi warranty (if you need it) it could well be a bargain

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dune

The warranty isnt worth a penny. How much is the car? If it's a good deal, go for it!

It will be different from the vette in that it has a turbo engine which will only start revving fast from 3.500 rpms.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Claudius

I think that saying the warranty isn't wortha penny does not give a fair picture. If you are not going to break the terms of the warranty, by modifying the car, then it is worth something. Major problems with Evo's are rare, but ask AntsEvo where he would be without a warranty (a few thou less well off) and ask HH6 how much a warranty would have saved him.

To repeat, if you are going to modify the car, a warranty could be a waste of money but if you are not, what you are in effect doing is providing a warranty yourself!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all thanks a lot for the valuable information. What most Evo owners told me was that i will get used to the power so quickly ill be itching to modify the car. My problem is that i dont know much about cars with turbos! So as a starter i would change something in the intake(probably filter) and exhaust after I get used to the power(that would be after about 6-9 from getting the car i guess) Now, about the price, its an RS-II and it costs $34,000 total. Is that a good price? About comparing the car to the C5, maybe itll be even faster in the low-speed range but I dont know about after 100mph! but why would i want to go that fast anyway!! So, from what you have said guys, i think i should go for it as problems arent that common in the Evo( compared with the cheap-built corvette where the engine cought on fire one day cus one of the gas lines was broken!!)
Theres something bothering me, why doesnt the RS-II come with the Titanium-Aluminum turbo? how much would that affect the car?? is it worth changing the standard turbo with the Ti-Al one? or maybe there are some better after-market turbos with the same price that i dont even know in first place! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dune,

That is about 23.800 U.K. pounds. A good price but not exceptional, if you consider that
you won't have the 3-year warranty (I don't know the prices in US though). I think an RS
(not RSII) model in UK with full 3-years Ralliart warranty (which is considered to be as good
as Mitsubishi's) costs about 24K pounds in UK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts