Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody can recommend a dump valve for my Evo 2?

Ive been told that installing one could decrease the power and give it more lag when going through the gears.....any advice would be appreciated.

:confused:

·
Registered
912 Posts
idea of a dump valve is to increase power between gear changes. Buy a decent one don't buy cheapy ebay universdal ones as they cause issues with tickover usually. Expect to pay well over 100 quid from what I've seen, I have a Turbosmart one from TSL and I think it was 220 delivered or somewhere around taht price mark

Oh and try posting in the correct section lol, this is for regional meets although I'm sure somebody will move it soon !

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,879 Posts
Podman said:
idea of a dump valve is to increase power between gear changes.
There is no throttle and no drive when you change gear so power to the wheels is and always will be zero.

The dump valve helps protect your turbo between gear changes, it has nothing to do with power.

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,879 Posts
Vanessa Evo2 said:
I was wondering if anybody can recommend a dump valve for my Evo 2?

Ive been told that installing one could decrease the power and give it more lag when going through the gears.....any advice would be appreciated.

:confused:
If there is nothing wrong with your existing valve, just leave it. You have a recirculating one as standard and you can replace it with a stronger one if you run higher boost, or you can change it for a vent to atmosphere (VTA) one if you want the "psssst" when you change gear. The VTA is bad for your car though as it causes the engine to run rich between gear changes and might cause idle problems.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Dump vales allow your turbo to spool up faster after a gear change therefor giving the feeling of a faster car with extra power, without a dump valve your turbo will stall as it cannot push any air past the throttle flap in the clossed position. The air can't go anywhere as it is a sealed system. Adumpvalve allows the air to exit the system therefor allowing the turbo to continue spooling (although not powered as such) when you throttle again the turbo has not come to a total standstill so can therefor spool back up slightly faster. As stated this greatly helps the life of your turbo too if you have one.
Don't teh earlier model evos have a standard recirc?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have got an evo 2 and have put a baileys venturi twin piston atmospheric dump valve on.

I needed a piece of samco to connect it as it needed reducing.

Also had to close off hole where standard valve recirculated to.

It works really well, the only problem i get is when letting off the accelerater there is a really small juder when the car is cold. I havent suffered any lose in power what so ever.

If you wanted to be extra safe just get a recirculating baileys valve, its just that i wanted something that sounded good and this most certainly does. :smthumbup

At full boost and throttle it makes the normal hiss sound a dv does, but at lower revs and boost it makes what i think sounds like a rattle snake, bit like a waste gate on a rally car really. I love it. :D :D :D

Anyway hope this has been some help. :angel:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts