Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys, if you had no car to sell, a clean slate, no insurance woes and a budget for a healthy trackday season sorted and about 40k for a car to accompany you....

what would be your trackday vehicle

and please bear in mind getting to the circuit, cost of consummables which will have to come out of your own pocket, cost of a trailer if need be etc...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I had a healthy budget, it would have to be my EVO... Coz as far as I am concerned, its my ultimate car.. For now! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
personally I would have looked at Exige, 7, Noble, Evo

I'm a bit big for the exige, WAY too big for the 7 and after reading what you said about the Noble, well it looks like the Evo!

Have you thought about a 7? something in the twin superbike engine range maybe?

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jackal,
I think that it would have to be 2 cars. One that kills everything in the dry (Caterham 7 bike engined thing) and one that is very good in the wet (Evo). That way you can then use the evo to tow the Caterham to the track and if it's wet go out in the Evo. If it's dry then go out in the Caterham.
An alternative would be to scrap the trackday idea and go buy a proper race car and run it in a series for a season. Much more fun than trackdays and you get the chance to be even more competative :D

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say Exige or 340R would be near the top of my list for just track days.

Cheers,

Phil

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
for me, surprise surprise, the 340r is best on the road. It sure does perform on the track, is very quick and makes you feel like a real racer but on the limit its boring and inflexible. The evo is more fun on the limit and an absolute riot when its wet :). You'd never believe it but i prefer the 340 down twisty country lanes and the evo on track - exactly the opposite of what they're made for. In a way they are too efficient/good and boring at what they are designed for so if you swap the roles they become interesting :)

I was planning to track my 340r mainly this year with the evo coming out occassionally when i booked a day and it decides to rain. But having sampled both cars on track almost back to back i have decided to primarily track the evo and also activley try and seek out wet track days http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >. Sounds odd, but then i guess i have driven RWD, mid-engined elise for over 3 years now and the predictable 4wd behaviour of the evo is all new to me and a novelty. I've done the elise thing almost to death and used to track my 111s back in 1999, had a another RWD/mid-engined car before that. I no longer need a car to commute on so hence my plans to change to an rs and focus it for curcuit driving.

Wouldn't mind an 993 rs one day or a 996 gt3, and surely i'll grow a beard at some stage and buy a powerful caterham but at the moment, apart from an R34 ... nothing really appeals to me. Very interested to drive a Tamora though to see if it really does handle. Lotus M250 will be the next big car launch imo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A 250bhp Radical. And a comfy diesel|PLS| trailer to tow it back and forth. And plenty of dosh left for tyres.

Biggest thril you could imagine, especially in the wet :)

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Knowing you Jackal, and from what you have said, tune up your EVO. You've got a 340R, and only something like a Radical will get that kind of vibe going better - but there is something nice about being indoors in a saloon, with all that grip etc.

Try and come along to one of my days out - you could get your EVO and spec it close enough to mine for £40k (there is alot of pointless stuff you wouldn't bother doing, and I know the cheap shortcuts now!)

Alternatives are out of your price range at the mo - but the 996 GT3 clubsport is awesome, as is the 993 RS - but both had their arses whipped by my car!

A second hand LHD 355 might just squeeze in budget, but running costs are astronomical. Come out in my car, and decide if it was what you want before parting with your hard earned cash - you can take me out in the 340R in return!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
blade - deal done. Ill see you in March at one of the Bookatrack days, i know that im doing Oulton on the 26th and possibly one of the bentwaters. Looks like i'm definitely getting the base rs2 though whatever the case.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'm thinking of getting (building) a dax rush with 4x4 350BHP cossie power (would like EVO power, but need longitudinal engine). I've been toying with the idea for a bit now, but am getting more and more taken by it. I love my 6, but the inherent problem is weight. the Rush comes in at around 650Kg, so 600 BHP/ton with 4 wheel drive should be fun. Hopefully going to Dax in the next couple of weeks for a test drive of their 2 wheel drive cossie powered rush. If finances allow, will keep the EVO, have a tow bar fitted, and use it if it rains on track. After going out in Yorkies Westfield at elvington the other week the prospect of a 7 type car in the wet isn't all that inspiring (unless I buy some seriously good waterproofs :) ) We'll see how it goes, but fancy doing a bit of DIY build your own car (not that I've got any spare time, but have just bought a house with double heated garage).

Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what about the tiger z100wr four wheel drive twin bike engine 380 bhp 0-60|EQU| 2.8 0-100|EQU| 6.3
http://www.tiger-sportscars.demon.co.uk/
paul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now that does look like fun. not too sure about the £40k price tag though.
I might consider this instead of the Dax (in kit form though) . Now how about 2 small turbo's (or supperchargers) on the bike engines........

Gerabox must be a bit complicated?

Anybody been out in one of these, or know anyone who has?

Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ive been out in b6 which is what the z100wr is based on there was a bit of understear but it had chep tyre on it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oi! Silversix, We only did two laps and I'm sure there was at least one dry patch on your right elbow :)I'm currently trying to persuade our lass that rather than go on holiday this year we should get a modded E4 and a trailer. If it's wet drive the Evo and Westie for the sunny days. Not sure I could bear to put a tow bar on an Evo though. Did Pic-man get in touch with you about using the photo from Elvington?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts