Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Just to make you all aware...

I drive an evo VIII and was pulled last weekend for a "random" police check and was fined for having a square number plate!!!

Since then I have been doing some digging including calls to the DVLA, emails to mitsubishi and disscussions with various friends and family (including some police officers!).

No-one has ever heard of this stupid law so lining up a pretty good case to appeal!!!

Was just interested whether other evo owners have been pulled on this and would appreciate your opinions, thoughts and/or any more information regarding this stupid situation!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
11,773 Posts
i have just had 2 square plates made by an authorised dvla number plate manufacturer, and they only allowed to make legal plates, then went to dvla office and got their approval, i did this due to getting stopped and advised my plates were illegal, but like you, i asked the police , dvla and neither could give me a straight answer:rolleyes: when i say square i mean like on a motorbike:smthumbup

taken from dvla site.....................

Display of Vehicle Registration Marks on Imported Vehicles (which have arestricted space for a standard sized number plate)Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if:The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type ApprovalAND
l The vehicle's construction/design cannot accomodate standard size number platesSpecifications for smaller sized plates (for certain imported vehicles)
Character Height
64mm
Character Width
44mm
Character Stroke
10mm
Space between characters
10mm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input

I don't think you needed to, mine are the original ones and the only things the DVLA legislation is concerned about was lettering sizing, spacing and colouring, the British standard number (which should be BS AU 145d by the way) and manufacturer... no mention anywhere that the plate had to be oblong rather than square.

·
Registered
11,773 Posts
Thanks for the input

I don't think you needed to, mine are the original ones and the only things the DVLA legislation is concerned about was lettering sizing, spacing and colouring, the British standard number (which should be BS AU 145d by the way) and manufacturer... no mention anywhere that the plate had to be oblong rather than square.
apparently, if you have space for oblong it should be oblong like the 9/x, earlier models all have mounting plates for square, so ok to fit square as standard, according to dvla, it would be illegal to alter an oblong to square plate:rolleyes: but on the 8 the rear should be oblong, but earlier models have square rear plates i beleive

·
Registered
151 Posts
i got rectangular front & rear on my VII;
what is the big attraction for fitting square on the front - is it to allow airflow to the engine?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i got rectangular front & rear on my VII;
what is the big attraction for fitting square on the front - is it to allow airflow to the engine?
No real big attraction, they come standard like that on evrything except 260's.

I prefer the square plate anyway :)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
but earlier models have square rear plates i beleive
Correct, the boot of my Evo V has two little holders at the bottom where the Jap (style) plate (13" x 6.5") goes into and then is held in place with 2 bolts, however there IS space for an oblong plate on the back, but not the front.

When I picked up my car it had an oblong plate on the back and a big square plate on the front, but I wanted some proper sized 13" x 6.5" Jap plates. Ordered them up from Demon Plates, who themselves say that as of Nov 1st 2008 it is illegal to create and sell a plate with illegal fonts/spacing.

Only had 1 copper behind me since I got them, and they didn't say anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got an oblong one at the back and square at the front none of the lettering was at fault, size, style spacing or otherwise it was purely the fact that it was square. But as you all probably aware mitsubishi supply them like this along with alpha romeo's, that the new fiat thing, land rovers and probably a fair few more!!!

Oh and another thing... anyone watch road wars??? Have you noticed the evo police interceptor with... wait for it... a front square plate!!!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Sounds like they wanted to pick on you and could find nothing else wrong....
Would they have bothered if you were in a bog standard bmw 525i with a square plate for example?

Dave

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
this makes me laugh, the scooby is parked next to the dark grey VIII which looks to have illegal plates:crackup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like they wanted to pick on you and could find nothing else wrong....
Would they have bothered if you were in a bog standard bmw 525i with a square plate for example?

Dave
well actually saying that the copper told us that thay left a family of 6 sitting at south mimms services on the m25 after impounding their type e jag!!! Not sure why, had to be lack of insurance/licience or something major surely???

·
Registered
152 Posts
Land Rovers have had square number plates for years???????????????????:smthumbup

·
up the hammers
3,502 Posts
I have an evo 5 with a illegal plate on the front only been pulled once .Have the origonal in the boot ie square one.So i put it on the copper said that was better the camera can pick it up now.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I don't see what they have fined you for - they've made up a law!

All Evos of this age have a square front plate; it was moved offset to allow airflow to the intercooler, and a rectangular one won't fit.

I think the rule is, that the car wasn't intended for European use so it is ok.
But that aside, square plates are still not illegal!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If anyones still interested for an update... spoke to hertford police and they agree its not illegal, told me to write a letter explaining why i refuse to pay which i have done, 2 weeks on and I still heard nothing back! 28 day due date has come and gone so filled it out to take them to court, that was last week... still nothing!!!

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
If anyones still interested for an update... spoke to hertford police and they agree its not illegal, told me to write a letter explaining why i refuse to pay which i have done, 2 weeks on and I still heard nothing back! 28 day due date has come and gone so filled it out to take them to court, that was last week... still nothing!!!
Classic breakdown in communication and due to the amount of paperwork they have to do, its no wonder they take so bloody long!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts