Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hope it's not a duplicate.

I find this much more realistic than the previously posted UK test, where TME was not as "up to snuff".

Based on published data, Yaris traps 1/4" mile 402 meters at 104mph, - while healthy TME 108-110mph totally stock, the picture of power is clear.

Yaris does not have clarity of steering like TME, most of the "influencers" on Youtube are just repeating superlatives, fact is few cars out there have the clarity of steering like Evo 5-9 and X, GT3 though 997 hydraulic, and likes of Elise, Caterham.

This is stock to stock, Evo has infinite tuning options- that won't be rivaled evenly by any new cars. And even a mild set of Ohlins R&T 255 stickier rubber, and reflash do a lot to sharpen it to evenly compete with new/recent cars on B-roads, and arguably on track - but Evo and Yaris are rally cars.

·
Premium Member
8,786 Posts
I've owned an Evo II, VI and IX and also now have a Yaris GR. It's a pity he didn't test a Circuit Pack car with the Torsen diff set up and lighter wheels as they make a big difference. The Yaris handles better than an Evo, it has a much sharper turn in, has better brakes and a smoother gearbox. Power quoted by Toyota is very conservative, I know of two standard cars that have been on established rolling roads that have given significantly higher power figures, one car was 301bhp and the other was 292bhp and I suspect as they get more run in the power will be slightly higher, they certainly seem quite rapid on the road. What we need to remember is that this a modern car, technology and design has moved on a lot in twenty years and so it is no surprise this little rally special is so good.

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,827 Posts
1) How well these cars react to modifications and how far you can push them.
That's not very relevant, you can modify any car, and if you need to modify a car for it to be better than another car then it is the lesser car of the two.

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,827 Posts
It's totally relevant, especially if your intentions are to modify the car. If one car has greater tuning potential then that point itself can be the difference to make it the better car over the other.
The video was comparing two cars against each other so "tuning potential" is indeed irrelevant. It's probably why, when looking at the review of a Ferrari, you've never heard "the car is good and all, but if you spend £150,000 tuning a 30 year old evo...."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reminds me of the Carwow race Mat Watson did, although in that video Yianni could've shifted better and given the Yaris GR a run for it's money, was still a very close rolling race where it was more than capable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts