Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone shed any light on the EVO 7 turbo?

I understand that the ralliart extreeme has retained the titanium turbo for their conversion, however RC Developments have switched to the old style turbo, is there something that ralliart are doing to allow this one to be used.

I was under the impression that the titanium one might be vunaberale with higher boost pressures - or have the kept the boost down?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ant

There seems to be lots of FUD about this and before I ordered my Extreme I checked this out. It appears that most of the Japs use the titanium for tuning and they think it is strong enough. There is a theory that the Titanium isn't strong enough but I could find nobody who could give me real examples of failure. I am not aware of anything special that Ralliart do but I know they prefer titanium. I believe that it is to do with moment of inertia. I am fairly sure that I read that the rally team uses titanium, but I would imagine it is a different unit altogether.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I thought, titanium would be a better choice, but I don't know how much bar this can safely take - and is it worth changing mine over??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought about this a bit more. Most grey cars have come with steel turbos. I bet a new titanium one costs an arm and a leg. I am sure that the titanium is better, but would it give enough improvement to justify the expense?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I ordered the original car (before I decided to by Warrenders own) - I ordered the titanium model - was not much more, but the 340R were all fitted with the steel turbo, because of reliability, or so that was what I was told.

So i'm just investigating whether a titanium change would be possible, or not?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually did not explain that too well!!

What I am trying to find out if firstly, what advantage has the titanium one over the steel one (in a tuned setup)
and secondly, what sort of level of boost can the titanium one withstand safely.

And considering that the steel one has almost negligble lag, is there any real point in changing???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ant,
its not worth your while.if your thinking of spending that sort of money your better off putting in a bit extra and getting a big turbo,this way you'll get more power and more scope for future modifing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
C2GSR

I was having no intention of upgrading to a hybrid turbo, I was wanting to know how Ralliart have got round the problem of reliability, or is it just a simple case of the Extreeme running less boost (but I am pretty sure Simons car has been turned up to about 1.4 bar).

Or is it just the case that the titanium turbo is in fact reliable - upto a certain boost

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ants evo,
Sorry if ive got the wrong end of the stick but,rc developments switching to the old style turbo????
presume they order there cars without the titanium option which makes them slightly cheaper possibly ?
From what i gather i think all rs variants of evo 4,5,6,7 come with the titanium turbo and are intended for groupn and group a(which probably runs a different turbo?)but in competition they would use als so if the titanium was weaker etc it wouldnt make sense to put it on the hard core evos (rs) especially with als so my theory is its maybe a bit stronger and it spools up quicker but would say its marginal but worth the option from new is worth it,read the rc review in autocar of the 340r and was puzzled by them prefereing the steel option.Know a few rally teams(groupn) and whom run rs spec titanium lancers and havent heard of premature failings.I run a rs450 with a titanium turbo and had no probs in 2yrs at all with anything,would be very interested to see why rc think theres a reliability issue ,especilly when they mainly tune gsr spec cars with a steel turbo unlike ralliart and rally prep people like ears ,btr,adr,motorsport etc whom deal with mainly rs,boost issue cant be a problem as im running 1.5 but have had 1.9 but keep it down for reliability etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers Bugsy

Surley the group N cars are running a modified titanium turbo - not the stock item.

The article in Autocar, was my reason for the question. From what I can see the titatanium turbo can withstand just a higher bar pressure at the steel one. So yes maybe it was a cost cutting excersise - but how much more was the titatium turbo over the original, if we are only talking £500 odd, then I don't see why they at least made an option for it. Is there really much difference between the two (after having the car tuned up)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ant

Don't trust what they say in mags. The titanium turbo is as strong as the steel one. It does spool quicker so you will get slightly improved lower end response. Enough to make it worth changing? Very unlikely.

I might be wrong, but my understanding is that group N uses the same turbo.

Finally, my car was not turned up to only 1.4 bar ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry Simon - what was it turned up to? (thought it was 1.4 - obviously wrong)

And it seems to also answer my question - the advantage is probably neglegable (can't spell that!)

Which is what I was wanting the answer to, thankyou.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why would the titanium turbo be less reliable than steel if titanium is stronger and lighter than steel ?
It's like saying an alloy wheel is not as reliable as a steel wheel...

The grpN rules do not allow changes to the turbo, isnt it ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ant
I saw Coord was offering a new Ti Turbo unit for 850 quid - It was in the sale they had last month - Might be worth a talk with Kevin down there.
I have driven a Mak 6 back to back against a standard GSR and did feel a difference. Now whether that was down to the Ti turbo alone, I am not sure but it did pick up quicker.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RA29

Group N does not allow turbo mods.

The titanium turbo has a little less lag. I would not spend 850 on one, no way, but given a choice before buying a car chose the Ti one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't forget that the MAK GSR has a smaller compressor section on the turbo
TD05HRA-15GK2-10.5T
instead of
TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T

This will reduce lag

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Group N reg do not allow you to change the standard turbo........ other than to machine it to take take a Group N 32mm restrictor

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi folks

Late entry on this one - new member's first post!

From what I've read etc... I think that the problem with the Titanium is that it is prone to MELTING
if the car isn't idled sufficiently after turbo-nutter driving. Basically there's less mass in the blades, so can't absorb as much heat energy before going wibble, but then this can happen to a good old heavy steel one too. Advantage is that less mass has less inertia |EQU| spools more quickly from 'rest'.

Get round the melting problem by idling the car for a while at destination or driving more sedately on the last few miles (HA HA - YEAH RIGHT), or fit a turbo timer.

Get round the steel is heavier problem by fitting a dump valve (I think).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.