Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking to Mark Shead at my last service (40k) he mentioned that I should be keeping an ear out for a "sound like a babys rattle" from the cambelt area as the belt tensioner is usually the first thing to go loose before the belt dies. Given the car is coming up 5 years anyway there's always been the possibility I'd need to get the belt done before I'd hit 45k.

So while waiting for the block to get a bit of heat this morning before I set off, I noticed a quiet tinkling (not tappets, I am more than familiar with noisly lifters by this point ;) ) coming from the engine bay. Took it easier than usual on the way in to work and came on to ask:

could it be the aforementioned tensioner and do you reckon a new cambelt is on the cards asap?

I'm booked in for the Silverstone RR day on the 9th, and if there's the possibility the cambelt won't survive it I'd rather know now so I can get it swapped and/or back out of the RR.

Help? :adore:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
have you checked all the heat shield bolts are tight?
Mine has that slight tinkle every now and then - especially when cold and the cambelt has only done 3k ;)
I'm gonna check my zorst and shields on Saturday

·
Registered
42 Posts
Better safe than sorry strip it and check the tensioner bearings probably buggered, just think happyily cainning it around the track the BANG! not good the whole engine would be buggered. Best a few hundred than a few thousand eh matey? :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts