Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bye bye Evo and hello 20valve turbo Italian Stallion!

I am 95% sure that by next week I will have swapped my Evo for this little beauty!! :coolsm:

Cheaper to run, cheaper to insure and loads more creature comforts. ;)

Had enough of the rawness of my RS and I have always had a soft spot for the Coupe.

240bhp 0-60 in 6.5secs. More than enough for me.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Try driving one.... they are a barrel of ****!

Handling is OK in the dry, but fundamentally tends to understeer. In the wet it is a very different kettle of fish....

Power understeer is only a right foot twitch away, and even if you have the car balanced it swaps between turn in understeer to exit oversteer with far too much ease. A fundamentally dangerous car in the wet!

If you get one, make sure it's a 6 speed.

Oh and if you drive them hard for any length of time, all sorts of bits break and fail....oh and they are not cheap to fix!

This is not hearsay, but experience....fortunately a company car!

·
Registered
217 Posts
hmmm

Not sure your making a good move there bud, however it does all tend to depend on how much £££ you have...

I personally if downsizing and in the market for a two seater would go for the FTO rather than that italian breakdown.

I used to have a FTO GR and they are great, go and test drive one of those first before you purchase the Italian job as you will find better deals and more money for your car (of which might I add wont cost as much to service and insurance is good for the GR).

Anyway best of luck trying to convince yourself as the evo you won't be able to forget.

Napier

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
A mate of mine is bang into his Fiats (it takes all sorts!) and has a 20v as an ongoing project.

Ill ask him for some forum/site suggestions if you want?

·
Registered
88 Posts
used to own one W reg, imported brand new from Belgium. For a motorway cruiser / A roads then a really good car. Make sure you have some decent tyres fitted. However sold mine after 10,000 miles 3 sets of front disks / pads and 4 sets of front tyres.

OK on track but a bit boring. I dont think they are dangerous and in the wet round Brands it was very sure footed.

Swapped that for an Integra and the integra was probably slower in a straight line but 100x more fun and ultimately quicker round track. Integra now gone for Evo 2

Would I buy another one? Not sure - probably better cruising cars around that take the miles better. Hopefully the cam belt has already been done!

Dont bother with dealers they are next to useless in sorting out problems, had a hestitation in accelerating and was never resolved properly (colder plugs and super unleaded almost resolved it)

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's def a 5 speed box.

I won't be tracking it anyway and will be used as a daily driver.

Thanks for your replies so far!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also just had four new yokohamas put on it and cambelt was done at 72k miles and its now at 85k.

Already registered to the forum from when I used to have one!

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
Insbro had one of these, he should be able to add some valuable input here too.

I had the option on one as a company car many years ago, and drove it once - then gave it back....not my bag at all.

But then each to their own eh.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Re: hmmm

Napier said:
Not sure your making a good move there bud, however it does all tend to depend on how much £££ you have...

I personally if downsizing and in the market for a two seater would go for the FTO rather than that italian breakdown.

I used to have a FTO GR and they are great, go and test drive one of those first before you purchase the Italian job as you will find better deals and more money for your car (of which might I add wont cost as much to service and insurance is good for the GR).

Anyway best of luck trying to convince yourself as the evo you won't be able to forget.

Napier
Im with this guy, i had a manual FTO for a while and loved it, was my favourite car ive had upto yet.

i havent driven the fiat but i dont like the styling of them and from previous experiences with Fiat i definately wouldnt buy one.

Heres a pic of my FTO when i had it, sold it to go towards the Evo funds.
http://groups.msn.com/cruisenotts2/shoebox...oto&PhotoID=112

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mosi said:
Insbro had one of these, he should be able to add some valuable input here too.

I had the option on one as a company car many years ago, and drove it once - then gave it back....not my bag at all.

But then each to their own eh.
Thanks Mosi!

I'll see if he replies. If he doesn't I'll PM him!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1995 MITSUBISHI FTO 2.0 GR V6 24v
red, auto tiptronic, service history, tracker monitor system, 15" alloys, private FTO plate, 12 months MOT, e/w and e/f/m, climate control. 81000 miles. £3200.

Like this you mean??

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Hi Mate

Is that the actual one?

I had a 1998 it was 8 months old when i bought it, 20v Turbo in Red.

I had a few problems with the electrics most of which I beleive were from the sunroof as the water drain holes in the floor of the car get blocked easily and the water backs up. Mine backed up that much iw was getting the seat belt wet!! Just after the warranty ran out the alarm packed up :D

Performance wise 3rd gear is a great gear :D

They do eat tyres i was getting through SO2's in 2.8k miles :eek: on the front. - I had the geometry checked:D
Keeping with tyres, good tyres are critical to the handling otherwise you will suffer from understeer.

I was surprised how economical it was though would easilly do over 30 mpg on a run.

Jez

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is that the actual one?
Yeah that is the actually one!

What do you think mate??

I like the LE wheels! :coolsm:

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Benny said:
Yeah that is the actually one!

What do you think mate??

I like the LE wheels! :coolsm:
Thats what I thought - they were the LE wheels

Looks good :D

Jez

BTW they sound the dogs with an induction kit :D the 5 cylinder thump is great:D

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You love it really Skip!!!! :crackup:

It currently has a K & N Induction kit and dump valve. May change the induction if required!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts