Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked the oil in the car, and yes you've guessed it - ITS DRY!! - NO OIL REGISTERING ON THE DIPSTICK!!

Along with the Marble sounding noice from the rocker cover...does this mean the engine, which has now done 7000 miles since new.

Has the engine had it??

I have put oil back in, and the noise is still there.

Would anyone like to have a guess as to what might have happened?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Antsevo,
When was the last time you checked your oil levels?
You wouldnt think a car that new and with only 7000 miles on it would use oil that quickly!
My 60000mile evo 4's oil level hardly moves from service to service.
How much oil did it need to bring it back up to the correct level?

I'm sorry to say that driving a car with no oil is going to cause serious engine problems!!

Best of luck ,keep us informed on whats happend

Duncan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Duncan, last time I checked the oil was about a week ago, needed a lot of oil to bring it up to the right level, just noticed an oil patch on the driveway (bummer! this is a new block drive)

Sounds like a blown engine to me!! - which bit i've no idea, now where is that Warrenders warranty, and lets see if its any good!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Condolances Ant,did Warrenders do the last Service? Is the oil leaking from the filter?I would try an Identify the leak because they can tell if the engine was run without oil,and might try to pass the blame onto you.So get the car checked before you take it to them so you know the reason for the massive oil loss.
Regards Barry:)
Ps .the sound you are hearing sounds to me like a piston,or bearing so dont drive it even with the oil in it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that Barry, however you seem to have forgotten than Spin Doctor uses this board regulary - so thats blown that idea!!

Last official service was done by Motorwey in Putney (Ralliart dealer), and RC Developments had it after that to do some work.

Will check tommorow morning if I can see where the leak has come from.

If it has damaged the engine, any ideas as to which bit (may give me a good oportunity to put in forged pistons and a new cam - unless it ends up beyond repair!!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AntsEvo,
Can't hide the bad news m8 , if the engine has run without oil , it's dead :(
Has the oil pressure light been reluctant 2 go out or has it flashed on when cornering or accelerating ?
If 5 ltrs of oil has dissappeared that quickly there has 2 b a serious leak , not wanting 2 b sceptical but has it been serviced or had work done recently ? it's not unknown 4 mechanics 2 forget 2 tighten oil filters , sump plugs , oil cooler hoses etc.

Wish u the best with this !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EVOBOY

Thats the starnge thing...no oil light whatsoever!

As mentioned, yes a lot of work has been done on the car recently, just before the last trackday, so you are thinking .. New Engine then.

oh dear, now where is that thread on the Jun Engine?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ants,
Just read that it has had work recently , b VERY sceptical !

As 2 damaged parts , any plain bearing will b at risk , so thats big end and crank mains , camshaft bearings , small ends and gudgeon pins. Then pistons , roller rockers , cam faces , valves etc.

It depends if the engine actully lost oil pressure 4 longer than a few seconds and on the type of oil used.

Did u notice an increase in coolant temp ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ant, do you know how many miles you did in the car since you topped up the oil 7 days ago?
Did you notice any unusal noise before the marble like sound,and has the noise got worse?

When you dipped the oil what colour was it, are you getting blue or white smoke from the exhaust or is it normal,and was the car making positive boost.How long ago was your car serviced and had you checked the oil since then.

Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EVOBOY - no coolant never rose in temp, this is why its all a bit strange, no oil light etc!

Barry, went down to Lymington and back (180 miles), and probably only about another 50 since then.

The oil dipstick had no oil on it - so I dont know the colour, boost was fine - jumping around 1.4 to 1.52 bar, car serviced a few months ago, oil seemed fine, did notice yesterday night though when I started the car that an awful lot of smoke was coming out of the exhaust for about 5 mins, while waiting for it to warm up in a car park, though it was just cold weather, boost is ok, so i assume seals on turbo are ok, but something is definetly making a loud noise in the rocker cover.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the noise is pobably from broken bits of engine :(
what is it? 6 or 7 and i hope you have warranty.

have you been driving the car hard recently ? long high speed cruises?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can't be too much broken - surely!, it still drives!!, boost is ok, still pulls well (did a quick burst on way home)

It's a 7, only 7 months old

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry to hear the possible bad news, believe me I know the feeling, I still have half an engine in the back on my garage :(
As Barry says get it checked out by an independant if you suspect the worst, get the AA or RAC involved.
If you want this thread to magically disappear for whatever reason then just ask ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Antony

Sorry to hear your news, hope it all gets sorted soon and painlessly, although it does look bad. I tend to agree with getting independent advice - don't take it to anybody who has worked on it until the reason for thge oil loss has been identified and, if possible, the level of damage has been assertained. That way, no interested parties can be accussed of trying anything on.

Good luck.

Simon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ant,Its unlikely you could drive for many miles without oil,so it must have happened at the latter end of your last journey,as the engine would have seized.The strange thing is you say the car is driving okay,which would indicate that the damage is not terminal.If it was a piston you would be down on power and would experience a very uneven tickover,the same if it was a lobe damaged on the camshaft.I feel the damage could be on the bottom end and with luck just a bearing.If you look at the plugs it would give you an idea whats happening at the top end.I think you may be okay on this occasion,bores might be glazed but nothing that cant be fixed. good Luck Barry:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AntsEvo,

Sorry to hear the bad news. The way you describe the noise sounds to me like
a big end (or small end bearing noise). It is unlikely for the camshaft lobes to have
any problems unless driven for sometime while having the problem.

Could it be that the oil pressure indicator did not go oof because there was still some oil
circulating ?

Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone, had a look today in daylight, can't see any oil leakage any the oil that was put in yesterday is still there, have not started the car, for obvious reasons.

Suppose I had better see what next week brings.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ant,no passive leak,could be filter seal or oil cooler.Have you had a addittional oil filter fitted?Did you have a oil change before the track day?

Barry:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brian, oil was chnged before the track day, RC had the car the week before and MotorWey had it about 2 weeks before that, no extra oil cooler fitted either, so its all a bit of a mystery at the moment.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.