Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd say a quick hi as a new member.

A big thanks for the EVO1-3 buying guide on the site - it should help me enormously.

I am looking for a car for track day / light commuting use and have come to the conclusion that the EVO1 may be the right car for me (also considering a few others).

I did my first airfield day last year (at Wroughton) in my lil black CRX and was astounded by the number of occasions that a certain White EVO6 (RSX?) kept appearing in my rear view mirror.

I've managed to persuade the wife that the running costs won't be too high (am I lying? I think insurance should be OK - I'm 30 and can live with a 5000 mile limited mileage policy).

Hopefully going to look at my first EVO this afternoon in Bristol - the car has hideous Fox Alloys and big speakers on the rear shelf but is allegedly otherwise standard and allegedly straight.

We'll see.

Cheers

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mave you seen Marks, Evo 1 RS in the 'for sale' section ?
Limited mileage will help, I'm 31 and now pay £466 fully comp on my Evo 1 (with an agreed value).
At 5000 miles the running costs shouldn't be too bad at all. In 2 years I did over 30,000 in my Evo 1 but that did add up to a fair old packet. I was relieved when I got a company car I can tell you :)

Good luck in the hunting, glad you liked the guide-hope you find it useful- and don't forget to join the club when you get one :D

TonyC
E1-3 register secretary.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
466. Thats amazing. I couldn't get under a grand
However, you're still looking a 2 services a year if you want to stick to the recommended schedule. Its not a cheap motor to run but great fun, and as these get older I guess you don't have to try to keep full service history and can do some of the work yourself to help the bank balance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tony,

Please let me know details of the limited mileage insurance policy. This reduced insurance (currently £750)and my latest aquisition (1966 diesel Land Rover) may mean I can keep the EVO. I have a 3,000 mile classic policy on my Exy, a 1,500 mile classic policy on the Land Rover so I only need another 5,000 miles on the EVO and I'm covered :)

It looks like my EVO may be off the market now.

Cheers,

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately was not terribly impressed by the car I saw today.

Mechanically there were no untoward rattles or anything, but there were a few things that put me off:
N/S front wing had been replaced, along with the light unit and there was evidence of repair on the panel across the top of the radiator in that corner.

The oil temperature guage did not budge off the bottom. It was explained that they hardly ever move by the dealer - surely some mistake - my other car with an oil temp guage gets to 85 deg C plus no matter what the weather.

The car was not as quick off the mark as I thought it should have been, although it was pulling really hard in 4th gear (my 180bhp Leon Cupra feels quicker to 50, which is never right) - this puzzled me a bit anybody got any ideas (unfortunately I wasn't paying much attention to the boost guage).

I guess I'll just keep on looking.

Dave - I saw the ad for that car at RalliArt - bit confused by the price though - depending on the page it's either 8995 (too much) or 6995 (maybe OK). Perhaps I'll give 'em a call.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re Oil temp gauge. Driving in this cold weather, my oil temp rarely gets above 60 deg C. Only gets to 75 ish when hot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve, price is confusing on that page innit? It's definitely £6995, I've seen it in the showroom.

DT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve, price is confusing on that page innit? It's definitely £6995, I've seen it in the showroom.

DT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup - I've given Ralliart a call and its been reduced to clear out some stock post Christmas.

Looks like a short trip up the M5 could be in order.

Shame they don't want to take my TR6 in p/ex - could make things a bit more tricky for me.

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts