Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if any of you could tell me where I stand on an issue i have with British Airways...

I boarded a plane today with my family looking to get back to the UK. My little boy (8 months old) vomitted before takeoff. He had vomitted at check-in as well. (5am in the morning!) I was a little concerned but thought we'll be back in the UK soon and I'll take him to the Doc's.

One of the Stewards on the plane was concerned so told the pilot who decided that they would not fly with a sick child on board especially as neither airline or myself had any suitable medication.

They asked be to leave the flight as they had arranged a Doctor to see my boy. This meant they had to unload all the luggage to take my suitcases out.

As I left the plane, the doctor was at the bottom of the stairs and within 20 mins had assured us that my boy was Ok and said he would be fine to fly. I tried to explain this to BA staff but was informed that my booking had been cancelled!

An hour later, i was handed my luggage and told to arrange alternative dates with the Head Office.

I'm ****ed off because I think they should have asked the Doctors professional opinion before off-loading me and my family.

After 2 hours of polite/persuasive discussion at BA's headoffice, I have managed to book myself on a flight on Tuesday but it is in Class M (?) and they want me to pay the difference between the standard class and this one.

Any advise????

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
The Aircraft captain has the right to refuse to take you if in his opinion you or your child is too unwell to fly, in fact it is his legal duty. He has no need to take a doctors advice on the matter as the responsibility is his.

However the fact they cannot fly you home on your ticket without you paying a supplement is not exactly fair. Call them back up and tell them that you completely understand the aircraft captains decision but the circumstances were beyond your control. All you desire is to be able to fly yourself and your family home and you are unable to pay the extra. Somebody there will have the authority to either book you a seat that costs the same as your existing ticket or do you a free upgrade to get you home.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im just a little ticked off as with the current strike situation, it was a real battle with BA to book myself on another flight. They were initially offering me 15th Feb!

I suppose when youre stuck in the situation yourself, you want all the decisions to be biased in your favour. It wouldn't have taken long to get a medical opinion but i suppose that is his discretion.

I've been offered the Tuesday flight but they are charging me 45quid extra as they have upgrded me to M Class - whatever that is. I could't be bothered to argue the point as I just want to get home and I think I will take it up with them once I have topuched down safely in the UK, i hope.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sounds a bit harsh, but the medical "fit to fly" is just that. It means that it would not be dangerous to your boy`s health to fly. The pilot has to consider that, but also the health of the remaining passengers, in case he started vomming on the flight and spreading the bug around to other surrounding passengers, along with the comfort of the rest of the flight.
Not on that they are charging you though, last thing you need when you`re trying to get a poorly child home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.