Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
out of curiosity as i doubt i can afford it yet:blah:, after my v engine threw a rod i managed to get a tommi engine with 40k on it and nick at NR carried out a rod job with the arp bolts and cosworth head gasket re built head etc but origonal pistons, shells etc... i have an apexi ind,full 3" exhaust inc de-cat,walbro f-pump,blitz spec s boost controller,hks vta bov,exeedy twin plate clutch, blitz rad, ...think thats it all else is standard v turbo,intake pipes intercooler etc....

So until i pester Nick again:wallbang::mhihi:, would greatly appreciate any reasonable advice on the next stage assuming the obvious is 9 turbo, poss vipec ecu as using ecu-tec on a 6 ecu:confused:at mo "was on the car already", are cams a must? fuel press reg? etc just curious to know what would be first really:confused:

all thoughts-opinions greatfully received:smthumbup
trev.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Get a decent set of cams to get the most out of the 9GT turbo. You should not need a FPR if you have a Walbro and a stand alone ecu.

Doubt you will get 400ft/lb torque with a 9GT turbo as you have to run some serious amounts of boost poss 2 bar plus to get any where near the magic 400ft/lb torque.

I'm saving up for a 9GT turbo and custom cams and will only get 390bhp and 360ft/lb torque. The mapper won't push it anymore than that until I get a rod job. Then i'll be going for about 440bhp and 390 - 400ft/lb torque :smthumbup

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Slightly off topic but what mods did you have when the rod went? And who mapped it?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies Mr-gtir and Ryan:smthumbup think to minimise cost the 9 80 series and vipec are the first things i need :smthumbup just wondered if theres any other must haves which i'm un aware of:confused: was under the impression that with the engine spec -rod job and mods i have so far maybee a different turbo would be better? cannot afford new so will TRY and save until a deal comes along second hand:handsup::naughty: cant see many second hand vipecs going cheap though:lol::shake:
thanks again for the replies:smthumbup

Ps hope your well Ry :thumbup: remember speaking to you about your power mods and how pleased you were on the way it performed when you went from 350 to 450ish bhp so am hoping to do similar :handsup:and partly blame you for my consistant craving for more:lol::lol::cry: ITS NOT GETTING WHAT YOU WANT IS WANTING WHAT YOU GOT:):goingmad:

"often heard cars are like women " :confused::lol::lol::lol::rotz:

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Yeah it went really went well with the ix turbo and cams,great road spec.
I'll take you out for a spin in my car now but i can't be held responsible for the craving!!

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it went really went well with the ix turbo and cams,great road spec.
I'll take you out for a spin in my car now but i can't be held responsible for the craving!!
:lol:Sound:smthumbup

I think as said by nearly all petrol heads or want of a better way of putting it whatever power you have after a while you get too used to it poss even spoilt with it however 500 bhp would be a dream for me to get used too/bored with :eek::handsup:One day:thumbup:

·
MLR Oldie
14,971 Posts
If your trying to cut down on costs then surely you'd be cheaper getting it remapped with ECUtek as you've already paid for the license so the remap shouldn't be that much. Or alternatively get it geek mapped by one of the boffins on here for much cheapness.

I'm not trying to put you off the Vipec as I understand they are superb ECU's (going for one myself in April) just trying to save you a few bob

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your trying to cut down on costs then surely you'd be cheaper getting it remapped with ECUtek as you've already paid for the license so the remap shouldn't be that much. Or alternatively get it geek mapped by one of the boffins on here for much cheapness.

I'm not trying to put you off the Vipec as I understand they are superb ECU's (going for one myself in April) just trying to save you a few bob
Thanks Baz a bit of a long story and will struggle to clarify :confused: But for some reason my 6 ecu-tec ecu i was told was "pulling timing" if thats right:confused:it was mapped on the rollers and assumed all was good :D But a had a rush of sh.t to the brain and thought i'd see what a different mapper thought and when he looked at it "my map" on his rollers he told me he thinks my ecu was sensing "knock" not sure and he couldn't clarify why or where it was pulling timing :confused: to stop damage?:confused: and to return to my engine builder for further investigation:wallbang: So i did but he does not do ecu-tec BUT put det cans, Fuel thing probe up its ar,e and other checks i think plugs etc and assured me he could see Nothing wrong!!! at all!!! So have been driving it as is about 3k now since build no problems apart from a FU.cking headache for me as to what the f is going on:D, So as i actually have undoubted trust in my engine Supplier/builder am not going to spend more hard earned on finding out whats wrong with my ecu and just save for an upgrade:handsup: however this does seam VERY odd as to wtf is going on but am putting all my eggs in one mans hands so praying he is as good as i believe he is:thumbup: also pops and bangs req'd:D Cant be asked to read all this again so sorry for any spell mistakes one finger @ a time keybored warrior me:crackup:

·
MLR Oldie
14,971 Posts
Trev, don't suppose your car may have GSC S1R cams by any chance?

These have been know to have issues before when run with the std ECU. Occasionally they cause "Phantom Knock". Basically the ECU thinks the car is knocking so pulls timing accordingly. Actually there is no knock.

This sounds kinda like what you're experiencing

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts

These have been know to have issues before when run with the std ECU. Occasionally they cause "Phantom Knock". Basically the ECU thinks the car is knocking so pulls timing accordingly. Actually there is no knock.

this can easily be resolved with the stock ecu still retaining knock control

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Baz if these cams are fitted as standard to the tommis then i guess /HOPE you could be on to something:eek: how could i find out is there a part No on the cam's or id marks ? **** me another night with no sleep:wallbang: i still have my v gsr complete engine "cams" head etc so could be a short term CHEAP fix? Phantom knock i think is what it has and as i know next to sweet f a on these issues have been listening to "Tunners" with differences of opinion and getting not very far and more:confused: as £ is rlitively tight was just going to waight get advised bits and stay with one tunner -same engine builder:) I removed the old and fitted the new engine myself "with a m8" but ecu and mapping i'm struggling with:handsup:

Thank you though Baz best reply i could have wished for is there a link or prev thread to this prob ? how common? Cams that is not retard like me:crackup:

·
MLR Oldie
14,971 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
well it would need to be logged to see if it is pulling timing.no point taking a guess and say its definatly pulling when it may not be the case.ecutek dealers will not (at least most) or cant touch the knock control on the standard ecus hence why they recommend the likes of vipec motec autronics and the like which dont have knock control but may have knock monitoring.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Trev. GSC cams are aftermarket cams mate. Was the TME engine that you bought standard or modified?

If it was a std lump then the chances are you'll still have the std cams.

here's a few links to threads re pahantom knock

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=298800&highlight=phantom+knock

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=295728&highlight=phantom+knock

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=279218&highlight=phantom+knock
As far as i know m8 the whole engine was a standard tommi @40k Thanks again Baz will call NR tommorrow:smthumbup

1 - 20 of 42 Posts