Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
People remove the Secondary Air System (SAS) from their Evo's as it "does nothing" or it "tidys up" the bay.

Other people argue this point, that in fact it aids in maps that have been done in a form of a switch for pops and bangs/party piece and that doing away with the SAS softens the pops and bangs. I have also read ones say that it helps with turbo lag..

So who has the magic answer? Evidence? Why would Mitsubishi put this on if it "does nothing" or its only an ornament?

These cars have been around a long time now surely someone has the conclusion to this question?

:mitsi::smthumbup:mitsi:

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
They were on the manifold for Anti lag but left on production cars for Group N homologation as far as I'm aware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,836 Posts
Secondary air systems are for emissions and to help the cat while the car is getting up to temperature. That's what's is in the registered patents, they are in lots of non-performance cars, lots of normally aspirated cars, they are even a legal requirement in some countries (I think the US but don't quote me).

Except on the MLR, of course, because race car :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
They formed part of the ALS system for grpN and were fitted as part of the homologation of the vehicle for rallying. :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Well I was asking the same question a few months back when I was debating going to a tubular manifold, which I eventually did so deleted the sas.

Conclusion?

My pops and bangs map is significantly quieter, you'll be lucky to get the odd pop now when backing off at 7k WOT.

Also it has to be said I definitely feel a little more lag and delay between the gears at high rpm, although this could be down to the tubular manifold itself and not the removal of sas.

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
That will be the tubular. Pretty rubbish mod unless big power, just moves stuff to the right like most mods on a stage 1 :lol:

Well I was asking the same question a few months back when I was debating going to a tubular manifold, which I eventually did so deleted the sas.

Conclusion?

My pops and bangs map is significantly quieter, you'll be lucky to get the odd pop now when backing off at 7k WOT.

Also it has to be said I definitely feel a little more lag and delay between the gears at high rpm, although this could be down to the tubular manifold itself and not the removal of sas.

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,836 Posts
Out-the-box SAS isn't anti-lag.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
The SAS supplies air pre turbo on the hot side that supports ALS used in GrpN rally cars supplying air to support the ignition of additional fuel being injected that ignites from the hot side of the turbo keeping it spooling.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I always thought the same as Aidy, that in a nutshell it was part of speeding up the warming up process, I then got rightly or wrongly corrected that it was to help reduce turbo lag. All I know is I removed mine and it hasn't made a bit of difference to how the car performs, but I can sleep at night knowing there is no risk of nasty exhaust fumes going into my intake system. :smthumbup

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,804 Posts
Ultimate thread? :lol:

If you join the club, you can then read all about SAS and EGR in the technical manuals which are on the home page, written by Mitsubishi, which will negate the need for the same questions over and over again.......:blah:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts