Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm going over to have a bit of fun at the Nurberger and i'm wondering if the standard brakes on my 7 will be up to 2 or 3 laps on the trot?

If not what do you guys reckon i should get fitted?

I was wondering if i uprated the fluid and fitted ferrodo pads that would be enough or would i have to get 'floating' discs as well or- (even more expense)-ap's 6 pots or similar?

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
All depends how hard you intend to stamp on them. The stock brakes are fine for light to moderate use. AP 6 pots or Movit monobloc (£££) should be fine for hard use. Alcon water cooled 12 pots (£££££++) will stand up to pretty much any abuse you can throw at them.

To be honest I reckon you'll be fine on the stock brakes round the Ring, since it has very few really tight sections and your brakes will normally have enough time to cool down between most of the corners. Maybe put some different pads in (Ferodo DS2500 or similar rather than the oem pads) but other than that you should be fine.

If you are a professional ring driver who brakes at the last possible second, and are running 500+bhp, you will need better brakes. If you have <400bhp and don't want to bend your car (ie brake a little early) you'll be fine on the Brembos :)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
The Ring, cooool :cool:

You should change your hoses, pour in some decent fluid, and change the pads all round to either DS2500's or Performance Frictions.

Plus being your first time there (I'm assuming) you won't be that hard on your brakes, unless your a physco nutter :D

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hey Mark, if it's Wolfy's (cooool name) first time there he might be even more demanding of the brakes than if he knew the circuit. Typically faster drivers are actually less aggressive on the brakes even though they might be exerting more pressure and travelling faster. The reason being, that slower drivers tend to spend longer on the brakes because they either get their braking points too early or they don't hit the pedal as hard, so need to stay on the brakes longer. This means the brakes are on for longer, which in turn increases temperatures and hence increase of wear rates and the possibility of fade.

Anyway, that said Wolfy definitely wants to be looking at a performance pad and some decent fluid or he'll be looking like a sheep in wolf's clothing :p

·
Registered
353 Posts
Rich, just read your trial and tribulations regarding the Hi Spec brakes...seems a bit severe though that you're going to the expense of an AP six pot conversion :eek:

I've been using the standard replacement Performance Friction discs and pads with no issues...the brakes are actually fantastic for the money. Just thought I'd let you know before spending more of your hard earned cash :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
On the road they seem fine. Haven't yet done any track dayz so not sure what they'll be like then, but I would anticipate some dusting due to the increased loading on the brakes. You'll ave to get scrub'n m8 :D

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi Mrk,

Had a thought, are you using the Performance Friction discs? If not, it might be down to compatibility between the pads and discs. Although pads are typically designed to work on any disc, obviously the same pad compound regardless of shape is used in a multitude of varying disc applications where no two material specifications are likely to be the same. Therefore, the pad and the resulting dust can behave in different ways from one application to another.

The guys from Performance Friction did tell me to ensure I cleaned my wheels well after heavy use. It's natural that a performance pad will give off dust during hard use (look at F1 cars at Bahrain) and because these contain carbon and metallic elements (which I guess is why they are so good at stopping the car) it seems reasonable that we have to clean the wheels more often.

Hope this might help :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts