Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Durgo
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this evening after a much protracted sale my red Evo 6 Tommi Makinen went to pastures new on the back of a trailer. I owned and cherished my car for 14 years. Spent a small fortune restoring it and it always drew admiring glances. I now have a healthy bank balance but a space on my driveway (currently occupied by a C-Max!). Although many have said to me one day you might get another, I believe that is a chapter closed. I'm not ready to join the Prius brigade, but I know I know I'll never own such a fantastic car ever again. I now know how the fella felt whom I bought it from all those years ago. It's stupid really, as it's only metal and plastic, but it has been a part of my life for 14 years and it was a bit of me. For this reason I will be a less frequent visitor to this forum. There are still some great and knowledgable people on here. There are also a few nob-heads. But I'll still miss all of it especially my car.

Attachments

Premium Member
Well it's a chapter closed, you will always have the memories. I bought my first Evo in 2008, sold it in 2010 for various reasons but I always regretted it so when I could afford it I purchased another in 2014

Premium Member
All the best in your new chapter Dan.
Haven鈥檛 owned for as long a period as yourself, but off and on for almost the last 10 years and keep coming back to them (y)

Premium Member
Hats off to you for your restore, a lot may have been put off! Although I didn't post I did follow it, buyers got a mint car there! For me in evo ownership of 7 years these days there are just better cars out now, time moves on, onwards and upwards

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Know how it feels, sold up in January after 17 years of ownership with an 8 FQ300 for 3 years, a 9 MR HKS for 7 years and finally a 5 for 7 years.
Currently driving a GR Yaris so at least the basic principles are the same and as something a little different for the weekend I have a Lotus Elise on the way soon.

Premium Member
14 years is a long time and cars have changed so much since then, hence why i'm always going to keep an evo in my garage, as i am not a fan of modern cars!
Enjoy the money, mate, and be safe in the knowledge that you owned one of the best cars money can buy, for putting a smile on your face, and that someone is going to , hopefully, enjoy it as much as you did.

Premium Member
Regional Organiser
Sorry to see you go but pleased you found a buyer for your stunning TME 馃憤馃憤
Maybe it's time for a different project... Time will tell 馃槂

Registered
All the best Dan you may be surprised that you don't miss as much as you think and you were obviously ready to sell up and move on,will be selling up soon myself after many years of evo ownership. Shame but with the current value of these cars I cannot drive it as I used to .need the room anyway for my classic bike collection 馃榿

Premium Member
All the best Dan you may be surprised that you don't miss as much as you think and you were obviously ready to sell up and move on,will be selling up soon myself after many years of evo ownership. Shame but with the current value of these cars I cannot drive it as I used to .need the room anyway for my classic bike collection 馃榿
Really hating this price hike if I鈥檓 honest. Pushing prices up everywhere ruining the whole experience. Parts are silly now. Totally get why people are selling up

Premium Member
Really hating this price hike if I鈥檓 honest. Pushing prices up everywhere ruining the whole experience. Parts are silly now. Totally get why people are selling up
I think there are going to be two types of evo owners, shortly.
Those who are buying, possibly restoring them ,and thinking of the profit if they hold onto it for a few years,and those who just want to enjoy the driving experience.
I just want to enjoy mine as often as i can.Im not blas茅 about it and wouldn't park it in certain areas, or leave it too long somewhere I'm not familiar with, but i do drive it hard.
If i had a GT3 i would drive it as hard as i was capable of and not worry about the price, other wise what's the point, if you are too scared of something happening, to enjoy it?
Even if the price went stratospheric, i would still treat my car the same....id just make sure my insurance was up to scratch!

Premium Member
I think there are going to be two types of evo owners, shortly.
Those who are buying, possibly restoring them ,and thinking of the profit if they hold onto it for a few years,and those who just want to enjoy the driving experience.
I just want to enjoy mine as often as i can.Im not blas茅 about it and wouldn't park it in certain areas, or leave it too long somewhere I'm not familiar with, but i do drive it hard.
If i had a GT3 i would drive it as hard as i was capable of and not worry about the price, other wise what's the point, if you are too scared of something happening, to enjoy it?
Even if the price went stratospheric, i would still treat my car the same....id just make sure my insurance was up to scratch!
I鈥檓 with you Chris, I had a brand new Sti Subaru back in 98 . Was an absolute peach, but I drove it like I had stolen it. Totally get why people restore and make the money etc it鈥檚 business. This was always going to happen I guess. I鈥檝e just always thought it to be such a shame not enjoying anything because of worrying about it. Mark said once he relies on the Crazy guys that want to enjoy their cars , makes sense when you see RS500 cossies being modded 馃槀馃槀 I solely bought mine to enjoy, mod and spend money on , not leave in a garage hoping to make 20/30 k in a few years. I will just work hard for that and enjoy the car while I can 馃憤

1 - 14 of 14 Posts