Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
Evo VI RS
21,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think it's safe to say that Forced Performance and in particular the FP Green turbo has a bad rep on this forum.

Lets get the truth out- FACT or FICTION greens are "failing"?!

I'm sure everyone wants to know the truth about the rumours. Is it true that FP greens are "failing" when used within the design intent OR is it simply a case that the Greens are being abused, pushed beyond their intended design limit at high boost levels?!

Everyone who has had their FP Green break, please post your story.

I want this to be a factual thread, with the story from the actual owners of cars that have had their FP Green break. Please don't tell stories about your mates car... or someones car you heard about.

I would like to know what happened ie driving condition, the setup you have, the fuel used, what boost levels your setup was running and how your turbo broke. Pictures would be awesome.

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
Do you really think people are going to post up the true story about their turbos if it was abuse that killed them?

·
Premium Member
Evo VI RS
21,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you really think people are going to post up the true story about their turbos if it was abuse that killed them?
Well maybe people don't know what the turbo's is design to run at.

It will be interesting to see how many people will step up and say "yeah it was my own fault (or my tuners fault) because the turbo failed while operating outside of it's design intent".

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
No issues with mine then again I never ran it at high boost like alot that have failed and this was due to my tuner not letting me and also cause I am **** fuel so high boost wasnt a option :lol:

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
Each turbo is designed for a specific purpose,with its own characteristics and limits,once you exceed these,then you have failure.

Mine broke at 2,2-2,3 bar steady all the way to red line,also due to my very agressive mapping;)

·
Premium Member
Evo VI RS
21,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Each turbo is designed for a specific purpose,with its own characteristics and limits,once you exceed these,then you have failure.

Mine broke at 2,2-2,3 bar steady all the way to red line,also due to my very agressive mapping;)
So would you admit that you ran the turbo outside it's designed operating limits? :lol: ;)

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
So would you admit that you ran the turbo outside it's designed operating limits? :lol: ;)
yup,precisely that:D although did not know it's exact limits until i broke it,fp said it could handle more than 2 bar.

·
Premium Member
Evo VI RS
21,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
yup,precisely that:D although did not know it's exact limits until i broke it,fp said it could handle more than 2 bar.
Ah yes but I bet you had fun up until the point it broke. :lol:
Can you give a description of how it broke? Do you have any pictures?

OK we have one honest member. Any more? Step up, step up tell your story!:smthumbup

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
well

my green originally ran in the 2 bar zone but after a run at the pod i realised it didnt perform at this level ie.my times were bad as there was no go from
5500 rpm resulting in another gear change 5th to get over the line..at low revs it was awesome but not flexible enough...i then had it remapped to run 1.8 bar ish....now it is perfect in my view.i can now pass the line at the pod in 4th...i have no pod times to compare as conditions were bad at both days i ran there...peak performance should clear this up for me.
i feel confident with the way my car is set up and my choice of supporting mods not to mention the skill of my tunner/builder.
ofcourse time will tell but it seems clear that over streching the green has coursed failures.
i just wonder if peeps running other turbs ie 3076's,9 turbs,etc would have had failures if they had been running extreme boost over what the turb was designed for.
i guess fp's guidlines might have been exagerated to get sales.this is a difficult area to be clear about.
i am very happy with my greens performance and dont regret buying one.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
FP green say "This turbocharger works very well in the 20-22 psi range on pump gas,and 24-28 psi on E85 and 26-32 psi on C16".so in looking at that it would suggest a limit roughly 1.4-1.5 bar on tesco 99 or Vpower.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
im running a green, but im only running 1.6 bar held, playing it safe, it feels strong enough to me. still gives good figures. no issues so far, fingers crossed.
most failures ive seen are with boost above 2.0 bar, iirc 2.2 in some cases.

i think the safe limits where a bit far fetched, after all its only a reworked 9 housing.

i wont be running mine above 1.6, i have a remap at end of month, ill see how it does at this boost.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts