Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
8,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Smart meters and the 'Internet of Things'

This is an interesting article that I came across that makes good reading -->http://www.globalresearch.ca/exposed-googles-smart-home-surveillance-plans-or-how-not-to-be-colonized/5367145

Two weeks ago, the New York Times' truth-humor strip on "The Home of the Future" came on the heels of Google's purchase of 'smart thermostat' manufacturer Nest for $3.2 Billion.

With power utility commissions such as California already stating their intention to "expand third-party access" to in-home data, the perfect storm is brewing for Google's mission of making you their product - even in your own home.
Something to warm your ****les to...

Smart meters

Smart meters are the next generation of gas and electricity meters. They are part of our plan for upgrading the UK's energy system.

We aim for all homes and small businesses to have smart meters by 2020. Energy suppliers will be required to install smart meters and take all reasonable steps to install them for everybody.

Consumers with smart meters will be offered an in-home display (IHD) that lets them see how much energy they are using and what it will cost. This will let them have more control over their energy use and help them save energy and money.

Between now and 2020 energy suppliers will be responsible for replacing over 53 million gas and electricity meters. This will involve visits to 30 million homes and small businesses.
It's bad enough that my private conversations on the phone and email, plus my internet usage are being tracked, but in my own home? U.K government, go f**k yourselves!

·
Premium Member
10,015 Posts
There was Google when they first started the company saying ..we will be different ,we will do no evil not like other corporations .

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
hahahaha... F*****G awesome Tony...
I project managed the ICHIS Documentation... Something I managed WILL be in your home soon - watching, listening, monitoring and reporting on you :D :D :D

·
Registered
8,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hahahaha... F*****G awesome Tony...
I project managed the ICHIS Documentation... Something I managed WILL be in your home soon - watching, listening, monitoring and reporting on you :D :D :D
No me squire, I'm going solar and dig a well for water...smart meter that fuc*ers :lol:

As for smart T.V's, smart washing machines, smart fridges, nah, not going there.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
No me squire, I'm going solar and dig a well for water...smart meter that fuc*ers :lol:

As for smart T.V's, smart washing machines, smart fridges, nah, not going there.

Ahh, smart Tony.. (You see what I did there!) :mhihi:

Don't the water companies still charge if you have a well?

·
Premium Member
10,015 Posts
Water companies charge you for sewerage and the water that goes down you're drain(rain water ) they have got you either end .

·
Registered
8,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahh, smart Tony.. (You see what I did there!) :mhihi:

From what I remember reading on different sites that dig wells, it's something like over 20,000 gallons or litres a day and you get charged. I'd guess they'd put a meter on the well to find out how much your using,,so that might be a tad tricky. Still, it's not a lawful requirement as I understand it to have smart meters fitted, so they can go swivel for all I care, the dirty filthy scum :D

·
Registered
8,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Might be a repost but this is shocking.
http://doctorbeet.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/lg-smart-tvs-logging-usb-filenames-and.html?m=1
Even with the option turned off its still sends stuff.
That's why I'm happy with my *dumb* T.V that I don't watch an awful lot anyway :smthumbup

A long line of people are already connected to the *info grid*, it's like a real life Truman Show across the country...

True to form with Godwins Law:

The Nazis would be so proud of the advances in modern day spy techniques carried out without our knowlage or consent.

·
Registered
8,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Water companies charge you for sewerage and the water that goes down you're drain(rain water ) they have got you either end .
Ah, but what if you recycled everything including waste products that never touch their infrastructure? There's people out there that have build systems that do this currently :)

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Oh that's a generous allowance I guess with a well Tony, not so bad then.

Far as I know, it's not something they can force on you, but I would expect that if you don't go on a Smart Meter, they will force you onto a more expensive tariff.

·
Registered
8,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh that's a generous allowance I guess with a well Tony, not so bad then.

Far as I know, it's not something they can force on you, but I would expect that if you don't go on a Smart Meter, they will force you onto a more expensive tariff.
Yeah, sounds about right :)

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm saying 'sod the lot of you, if I wants it, I'll takes it". Water, like anything is a precious resource and should be used carefully and considerately. I wouldn't object to a meter on a water supply, like the ones we currently have for the electric that just show usage and don't report back to HQ via spywares. What I do object to is having some smart tech in my house that god only knows what it's tracking and reporting back.

I bloody swear we're living in some Terry Gilliam Brazil nightmare type scenario.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
There was talk about taxing private water supplies but then they would have to guarantee the quality of the supply. We have private water and sewage so we don't pay a penny other than upkeep of the systems.

I had my electric supplier on the phone this morning saying they were coming round next week to install a 'smart' meter. Told them i didn't want one and i wouldn't let them in to fit it. Will be interesting to see how that goes from here

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
There was talk about taxing private water supplies but then they would have to guarantee the quality of the supply. We have private water and sewage so we don't pay a penny other than upkeep of the systems.

I had my electric supplier on the phone this morning saying they were coming round next week to install a 'smart' meter. Told them i didn't want one and i wouldn't let them in to fit it. Will be interesting to see how that goes from here
Makes sense if you have your own supplies. I did think it was cheeky being charged for well water. Seemed to me to be monopoly abuse.

I'm certain businesses aren't under the same SM requirements as consumers and may find it much easier to refuse one.
I wasn't on that side of the project so to be honest I never made that much attention to billing etc.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Am I completely missing the point here?
So smart meters will be placed in our homes which show us how much electricity we are using in real time?
And the bad thing is?... I have to be missing something.

·
Registered
8,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So smart meters will be placed in our homes which show us how much electricity we are using in real time?
That's a fair viewpoint Simon.

What I object to is having constant 24/7 surveillance hardware/software tracking my every move. Once this stuff gets into your home, it'll be a free for all with the likes of NSA/GCHQ/Goggle/Apple/Samsung/LG etc. it's an absolute data mining gold mine where targeted adds will bombard you and you won't even be aware of it happening.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
For normal people it's not a bad thing.
It's not only to show the consumer what they are using (which I don't believe will aid the consumer in saving money), but also to ease billing for the ESP. They don't need an army of meter readers going out in all weather etc.
Other than that I can't see any more benefits...or any downsides at all.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
That's a fair viewpoint Simon.

What I object to is having constant 24/7 surveillance hardware/software tracking my every move. Once this stuff gets into your home, it'll be a free for all with the likes of NSA/GCHQ/Goggle/Apple/Samsung/LG etc. it's an absolute data mining gold mine where targeted adds will bombard you and you won't even be aware of it happening.

What data do you think they can mine, using a device that measures how many units of electricity passing through tier meter?
They won't be connected to your TV, or your internet connection, or even your washing machine.
They are using their own sim card for 3G data transfer, or MESH where cell service is poor.

I'm not disagreeing that there is snooping going on and targeted ads etc in other parts of our lives, but I can't see how they can do that via your Electricity Smart Meter.
That said I know that the Comms Hubs are capable of connecting to a number of devices. Main reasons for that is that they are powered from the unmetered side of your electricity supply. gas has no power so they use a slightly different method and they connect remotely to the hub on the electric meter.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts