Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
I admit it, I've been taken over by the EVO monster, I want to drive my car as it needs to be driven and I want to modify it so it can do what I know its capable of doing.
I've been thinking about this a lot over the past few months and I think I've finally decided what to do, what's more its all your fault!

I'm just not getting the most out of my EVO with the daily run to and from work so I plan on preping my car for the track as follows in order (hopfully every other month) this will consist of:-

Exhaust and induction (early next month as PE don't have a down pipe in stock).
...Blitz Nur Spec R
...PE downpipe
...part of a Magnex De-cat
...Apexi filter
Strut braces (not sure which ones yet)
BOV - Biltz Dual Drive Sequential Speed VTA (I think)
Driving course
suspension (argh no idea, maybe from Claudius if its not too late!)
Brakes (not sure which yet)
...AP (6pot front and 4 rear), Movit or CTF
ECU - I think I'll be going GEMS
Driving course
set of Mags |PLS| new rubber
Driving course
Driving course

I'm also adding miles on to the EVO which I really don't want to do, so I plan buying something for the run to work (see other thread :D)

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ryan,

You may well be the countrys best evo driver, I am not to know but if you're not then as a general piece of advice do the Driving Tuition FIRST. If you get a lot out of the day it may have a huge impact on exactly what mods you make and in what order.

My evo is NO LONGER being used to commute in so I have been considering a similar route to yourself for wet trackdays and obviously providing that I keep the car. My mods would involve:

1st: anything to do with handling and amp; feel and amp; safety

less weight
AP brakes and amp; hoses and amp; oil
quick steering rack
bushes
proper suspension
rollcage
bucket seats

2nd: if I have any dosh leftover then possibly go for 350 BHP but only WHEN 300bhp is the limiting factor for me on track rather than me being the limiting factor.

Only problem is that I can't help thinking that I'd be better of ditching my current gsr and getting a sprint, RS variant or an extreme as a starting base. One thing is for sure, I would not want ABS or AYC on a trackcar and it seems that its not really wise to turn it off on a gsr :(

best of luck

R

BTW: i wouldn't get a vta bov, it may be okay but may well upset the high speed driveability of the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jackal,

At last, someone who waded in with the modify the driver first comment before I did :D Well said.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yup I agree with you both 100% the thing is I have the cash to do the driver tuition anyway and I already have the exhaust and induction waiting to be fitted, the strut brace and BOV are cheepish mods anyway, I'll be going on the tuition day as soon as I can sort one out, I also intend to make it a very regular thing.

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rich

These driving courses are obviously beneficial. I guess the thrust of the instruction concerns taking the right line and braking points etc. However, what concerns me and others I guess, would be the instructor thrashing the nuts off our pride and amp; joy! Is this the case? :(

Apologies for asking, as I expect the answer will be on a TRACKDAY site under FAQ!

However, I have to say it is one of the main reasons I'm reluctant to sign up for Trackdays is my PRIDE and amp; EGO and being shown up by supposed LESSER cars!

From a slow EVO if there is such a thing?
Amendment - Just looked at the sideways EVO story and amended the link - everything is now clear (ish). Do you like the pukky colour?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jerry,

first thing, when an instructor drives your car he'll be a lot faster but A LOT smoother and easier on the car in a mechanical sense. Personally i let any instructor drive my cars, don't see why not, thats what they are for and its only a car after all. When i'm dead my car will be just a pile of scrap metal somewhere ... who cares. They know what they are doing much more than me. In any case, instruction does not mean thrashing the nuts off it - if you go out on track with someone who is very very quick, what will strike you is how smooth he is... allmost balletic - not Thrashing as you say .

As for the PRIDE and amp; EGO thing - well thats part of circuit driving. Tons of horsepower over another car only equates to a few seconds. Better suspension equates to more seconds advantage but the biggest laptime advantage comes from driver skill. So its perfectly possible for a top driver in a heap of crap with Racing suspension, to whip teh arse off a 350bhp evo....

But that is part of track driving and it really puts the tuning thing into perspective for me. I've been out with several of teh Lotus drivers including Gavan Kershaw who won teh sideways challenge and is a seriosu wheelman and in a standard 118bhp elise he could **** most things on track. But circuit dwellers know all this and its not a problem - no-one is gonna give a flying *ck about who passed you Jerry, they'll be too busy having fun themselves. And remember that EVO's are very easy to drive fast so it shouldn't be long before you are going well round the track. The fact that a minimetro can pass you is teh good thing about it - it gives incentive to do better, get instruction, do better lines and better braking and push through the corners harder and power on earlier etc.. The learning and amp; improving is what its all about.

From my experinence I would say that with the EVO you need MORE instruction than in other cars because driving correctly in it does not come as naturally. Because it'll cope so well with bad lines, lifting off or steering input mid-corner, trailbraking etc... you could more easily get into real bad habits as opposed to a less forgiving car that demands ultimate commitment on eth correct racing line and not 1mph over the absolute entry speed. Look at the elise - it does not suffer fools. Anything can spin it in a unrecoverable fashion, like twitchy throttle inputs, mid-corner steering inputs, lock ups, lifting off just even slightly, not getting back on the power early enough etc..., backing off from oversteer. In a way it teaches you some of it all by itself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree on getting as much instruction as possible to make you a better driver, no question.

However, I do not agree that you should not modify your car just because if you were a better driver you could go faster without, for the following reason: you will be faster in a 350 bhp Evo than in a 300 bhp Evo, no matter what your driving skill may be. Now obviously that does not mean you should give a total beginner an Evo!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ryan

I think all the mods you have in mind are justified.

Concerning the brakes, you should try out the Movits on the ring soon, if you can make it, and make up your mind. that is what Michael, Andre and myself will do.
COncerning suspensions, if you drive well on a twisty trqck, you will be faster with proper suspensions than with 50 bhp more, no doubt. Maybe Michael will let you try his car with the Proflex so you can see the difference (I would let you try mine but think LHD is too much of a change at once).

I would however, sell the GSR and get an RSX or RS2. You can probably do this without losing any money. It has more direct steering and less weight, two very important factors!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
However, I do not agree that you should not modify your car just because if you were a better driver you could go faster without, for the following reason: you will be faster in a 350 bhp Evo than in a 300 bhp Evo, no matter what your driving skill may be. Now obviously that does not mean you should give a total beginner an Evo!

I think Jackal's point still stands, that it's worth getting some driver tuition first so that:

a) You can make a more informed decision about which mods to get first
b) You know the car better before you do the mods and will realise more potential from them one you have them done

Of course, if someone asks the (slightly different) question What's the cheapest way of making my car go faster around a track then there's surely no debate about the answer ... (?)

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Claudius,

Concerning the brakes, you should try out the Movits on the ring soon, if you can make it, and make up your mind. that is what Michael, Andre and myself will do.

Please can you e-mail to let me know what you think of the Movits when you've had a chance to try them. I'm seriously considering getting a front kit for my car and I'd be very interested to know how well they performed on the 'ring.

I'm assuming you'll be trying out the 322mm 993 TT kit (as opposed to the 380mm kit which probably won't fit a standard E6)?

Thanks,

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Droid

Just had Andre's 6-pots turn up - look like a vast improvemnt over the Brembo's - just need to get them fitted. May look at rear AP's before doing that though!

What's happening - this Modifying thing was supposed to stop - you're right it is a disease.

Rich

Thanks for your words. Will get Ed Moore at Hullavington to give me instruction!

Jerry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts