Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm currently in the process of trying to shift my V-reg' TVR Cerbera 4.5 (which 'aint easy at the minute!!) with a view to getting myself into an Evo 7 of some description.

I've been trawling the WWW to find the opinion of the people on the Evo7 Extreme, Extreme-S and amp; RS450.
From what I've been able to gather the general consensus is that all variants if the Evo7 are hugely capable.
But my question to you is ....... which should I opt for ??

If you've get an opinion on the Evo7 Extreme, Extreme-S and amp; RS450 and the apparent pro's and amp; con's for each car, I would pleased to here your thoughts.

Finally, please don't start on TVR ...... I am on anti-depressants as a result of owning one ;)

Cheers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TVRBoy - I have previously owned a Tuscan and Griffith - both were shite!

What kind of car do you like? What appealed to you about the 4.5 Cerbera? Need some more info before I can make a suggestion to you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before the Cerbera I was driving an RB5 with the seriously over priced 'Performance Pack', great car a little bit lacking in performance at 245bhp. Probably my only gripe would be the steering and the brakes; occasionally I felt the steering lacked a 'directness' which dlled the experience and quite simply the brakes just were not up to the job.

Drove and nearly bought an Evo6 Makinnen before buying the Cerbera, from an importer by the name of Crowne Autos in Henley-On-Thames (which I think went bust). Went on a track day with a friend who had a Cerbera and was blown away by it's (straigh line) speed and soundtrack.

The power and sense of purpose of the eXtreme, eXtreme-S and amp; RS450 appeal to me greatly, I just don't whether they would offer the right kind ofer performance I'm looking for. Saying that, I know from experience just how fast and enjoyable a well driven Evo, or dare I say it Scooby, can be.

I guess what I am ultimately saying is that I want a 4wd car that will offer TVR-like speed and performance, but without the baggage. From a praciticlity perspective, I lived with the Cerbera so the Evo should be a walk in the park !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok - the first thing about the Cerbera 4.5 is that it has a huge power to weight ratio. It is extremely quick. Not many cars would get it in a straight line. You would need an EVO with around 500bhp.

The next thing is wide power band from the (really quite good) v8 engine. The EVO, being a forced-induction engine doesn't generate the same levels of power till around 3000rpm - then it explodes on you. You either like turbos or you don't - sounds like you do!

The brakes on the EVO are not as good as the AP's on the cerbera.

You don't mention budget....

If you want the luxurious element of the TVR (air con etc.) then you should get an 7 Extreme, but perhaps get it tuned from an engine point of view to Extreme-S spec. Keep the GSR gearing, as the short gearing of the RS450 and extreme-s is hard to live with on a daily basis - though that is easy to change. Have AP brakes fitted front and rear if not already there.

The car will be monstrously quick - probably as accelerative as the cerbera to about 120mph. Will totally destroy it handling wise.

If you want, you can fit bigger turbos etc and create a monster!

How much you want to spend? Ralliart do have an Extreme-s for sale. Is it a 7 or a 6 that you want?

Are you up for tuning the car, or prefer a completed package? A 7 can be had quite cheaply (£20-25k) and then you can tune it how you see fit - though it is pretty awesome to start with!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blade,

I think an Evo7 eXtreme with the S internals sounds v.interesting.

How am I going to get my hands on one of these lovely motors, as I guess your average Mitsubishi dealership 'aint going to be offering test drives !

By the way this looks like a cracking Forum, unlike the various TVR ones, Jesus some of those guys are boring.

Cheers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Talk to Ralliart in Dudley if you want one of those - will be expensive though!

You can create something similar for quite a bit less.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, Blade, you can make something similar for less, but it won't be an Extreme and it won't have 3 year warranty. You could, for instance, do everything except get cheaper wheels. You could build the engine differently and produce a quick car. But as a total package for somebody to buy without the hassle, you cannot get do better, IMO.

As for which one, my ultimate would be an Extreme based on the GSR with an Extreme S engine, sports ACD and AP brakes. Or, if you can put up with the lack of sound deadening and the shorter gear ratios, the Extreme S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, Simon is quite right. I tend to forget about warranties as I can't leave anything alone, so end up screwing up my warranty!

I agree with Simon - the 7S is a bit too raw - the lack of leccy windows and aircon, and the noise, may drive you up the pole after a while!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Chaps.

The decisions made.

Spoke with Leon at Ralliart yesterday, who is trying to sort a test drive in a 7 eXtreme for me in the next couple of weeks. Pending the test drive and the level of finances I'm prepared to commit, I think I'll be putting a deposit down on a 7 eXtreme and thinking long and hard about whether to go for the eXtreme S engine internals and other assorted goodies. I guess I can always get them retrofitted at an increased charge.

Leon said, Ralliart won't be seeing any new 7's until June/July, they are going to be ordering the next run of 7's in March with the eXtreme build taking customer delivery dates out to August/early September.

At least that gives me a while to shift my Cerbera, any takers ??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts