Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys and gals when I start my evo 8 I can toggle through all three settings then a couple of minutes driving the three lights come on I have had it plugged in and it's coming up with code 82 pump fail but also a front wheel speed sensor is saying the car is doing 56mph when the car is stationary , I have read before if the wheel senor is knackered it will disable the pump and throw up the fault codes has anybody heard of this before ?????

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hi Dave, saw note in other thread.
Happened to my 7 yrs ago too :) which is why i joined the forum, having been offered a 2.5k replacement from the lovely people at mitsu.
As for sensors and codes etc. You know more than me, but mine was pump accumulator fault/leak from memory. Cost bout £300 for remove, repair and refit at hockley motorsport in wales. Since then there has been a lot of people pop up that repair them, having figured out the workings and part sources. kikiturbo (think thats right) does diy repair kits and guides too.
As said, no idea re. Sensors tho.
Lots of threads, have a search. You are in a far better world for pump reair issues now than i was in 2010!
All the best

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Hello guys and gals when I start my evo 8 I can toggle through all three settings then a couple of minutes driving the three lights come on I have had it plugged in and it's coming up with code 82 pump fail but also a front wheel speed sensor is saying the car is doing 56mph when the car is stationary , I have read before if the wheel senor is knackered it will disable the pump and throw up the fault codes has anybody heard of this before ?????
Mine's done this twice now after being laid up for a few months.........my fix is pretty straightforward and free. I gave the housing a few clumps with a rubber mallet and it was fine and has been for about 3 years now. Usually just a bit of corrosion jamming the wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Hi, if you lie under the left hand rear of the car and look up, between the bumper and rear wheel you'll see a fairly sturdy looking metal frame containing the pump. All I did was thump that frame with a mallet.....you can't do the frame any harm, but the shock frees off the innards of the pump.

Well, it did on mine anyway, I've had to do it twice after successive winter lay-ups. Worked both times, and it's been fine the last few years.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
lol at hitting the housings

alls its doing is may be dislodging the corroions in side or the corrosion on the bearing for the motor

just becuae your lights go out after doesnt mean its even working as it should be either, dont forget these pumps are designed to run at 15 bar upwards but to turn light off requires as little as 2.5 to 8 bar, still way under half the operatin pressure

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
lol at hitting the housings

alls its doing is may be dislodging the corroions in side or the corrosion on the bearing for the motor

just becuae your lights go out after doesnt mean its even working as it should be either, dont forget these pumps are designed to run at 15 bar upwards but to turn light off requires as little as 2.5 to 8 bar, still way under half the operatin pressure
Fair comment, but I've had the car long enough to reckon I could feel the difference. There are also no fault codes.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I've never done the ol' mallet trick myself but I think I'd notice. My old car had no ayc pump for about 6 months when I bought it, after buying one and getting it fitted I'd written the car off within a few weeks lol I no longer had the safety of understeer lol

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Fair comment, but I've had the car long enough to reckon I could feel the difference. There are also no fault codes.
so you dont think you would notice the difference if the clutch plates in the diff are locking with 2bar or 20 bar of pressure? i think you would notice the difference

there wouldntbe no fault codes as only way you can read pressure is mutt 2 or a gauge on the pump

if pump stops working it will bring on code 82/83

eventually it will pack up all together though and possibly block and scrap the pump

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
:
so you dont think you would notice the difference if the clutch plates in the diff are locking with 2bar or 20 bar of pressure? i think you would notice the difference
Yes, I agree that I would notice the difference, that's why I said so in my previous post........hence why I think the pump is working ok. I've had the car for 14 years and it isn't behaving any differently to the way it did when new. I'm not blind to the fact that my " fix " isn't exactly the Mitsubishi prescribed method, but I'll learn to live with it! :D

·
Premium Member
20,584 Posts
Abs faults can give thee "3 lights" ....had it twice over the years , and wasnt pump ....despite all sorts of codes showing up on dash :lol:
One was electrical , other was ABS light came on after hitting a "cats eye" @ not legal speeds ( racetrack of course :rolleyes:) ....needless to say , the cat is still alive but blind :mhihi:

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Abs faults can give thee "3 lights" ....had it twice over the years , and wasnt pump ....despite all sorts of codes showing up on dash :lol:
One was electrical , other was ABS light came on after hitting a "cats eye" @ not legal speeds ( racetrack of course :rolleyes:) ....needless to say , the cat is still alive but blind :mhihi:
his abs light doesnt come on though, it should if there is a wheel sensor fault but could be an old code stored

1 - 14 of 14 Posts