Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

No.1 son has been helping me in the garage and has very kindly (whilst 'sorting' my tools) mislaid my locking wheel nut thingy.
It's gone, dissappeared, vanished.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions as to htfh I get these buggers off? Tried hammering a socket onto one of them - that failed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
You can buy tools to do it, but local garages have them and carge 5 or 10 quid a wheel.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jameswrx said:
Or just remove 4 of the wheel nuts and drive it til you start to hear it become loose, put the other nuts on and you should be able to get some long nose pliers on it and spin it off.
You're kidding me right ?
I mean, don't get me wrong the principle is sound and all but..............c'mon!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
26,575 Posts
hi ive got a set of locking nut wheel removers reverse threads am willing to part with them

K

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KIERAN BARKER said:
hi ive got a set of locking nut wheel removers reverse threads am willing to part with them

K
Very kind of you, but I already have a set and they won't go into the recess in the rim the nut is in.

·
Registered
162 Posts
your best bet would be go to a mitsi garage, they wont charge the earth and you won't damage your wheels. As for taking 4 off and driving around for a bit........what a thing to say!! putting all the strain on one side of the hub. Great idea you just need new hubs along with your new locking nut set.

·
Registered
20 Posts
all we use is a socket that's a size to small and a good size hammer give a good wack all way's come's off and dose no damage to the wheels.....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had a wild and crazy idea that might just work.

All I need is a left hand threaded nut.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've taken these nuts off loads of times using a 12mm deep flat wall impact socket,
just really hammer it on the piece in the center and undo

( lol im not a wheel thief, i work at a jap car importers and the cars rarely come with locking nuts)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nick666 said:
I've taken these nuts off loads of times using a 12mm deep flat wall impact socket,
just really hammer it on the piece in the center and undo

( lol im not a wheel thief, i work at a jap car importers and the cars rarely come with locking nuts)
I must be doing something wrong, cause when I tried that, the bit I has trying to drive the socket onto collapsed :cry:

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I can't remember if its Halfords or Machine mart but they sell the sockets to remove locking wheel nuts.

Or take it to a tyre & wheel center they should be able to help.

Silly question but your son hasn't put the key in the car some where safe.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Evo1man said:
I can't remember if its Halfords or Machine mart but they sell the sockets to remove locking wheel nuts.

Or take it to a tyre & wheel center they should be able to help.

Silly question but your son hasn't put the key in the car some where safe.
Dude,

I have a set of the 'nut removers', they won't fit.
As for No.1 son putting key somewhere safe........I've emptied the garage and it's contents into the garden, opened all the windows in the car turned it upsidedown and shaken it, removed the seats....etc.... it's gone, vanished, I amguessing it's travelled to the same alternate universe his power ranger toys do :blah:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Just had the same problem,
Drove off with the locknut attachment on the lock nut,
Got a socket the right size and marked where the holes are ,
Cut the pegs with e hacksaw and grind out the between bits with a grinder to leave 4 pegs,
A bit fiddley but it got mine off :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts