Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just filled my E6 up with Tesco 99 and its running like a bag of spanners , idleing is up and down like a yo yo ,boost is uneven through the rev range and is generally running bad.
Ive previously used Shell V Power and its been fine . Filled it up with T 99 and after about 10 mins it started running bad. Ive kept on driving it for about 50 miles to see if it would adjust but its still running rough.
What do you think i should do ? Options are to drain the fuel out and put it in my other car leaving just enough to get the 20 miles to my nearest Shell or keep on driving it to see if it gets better . What do you think ?

·
Registered
31,032 Posts
I wouldn't risk carrying on driving it.

Sounds like the fuel has been at the garage a while to me.

Drain and get to Shell is what I would do.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
First time I used T 99 in my 6 it run badly like u are saying. Crap acceleration etc. Ive used vpower for a yr now and never had any issues. Stick with the best :D

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
are you sure it's 99 and not 97?

Loads tesco have super but not all at 99...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

Still should be ok even with 97 RON, when I just collected my car from DCY the nearest petrol station only sold normal Super Unleaded (97 RON), so I filled up with that until I got to a Shell on the motorway, since then I have used nothing but V-Power.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
First time I used T 99 in my 6 it run badly like u are saying. Crap acceleration etc. Ive used vpower for a yr now and never had any issues. Stick with the best :D
I only use V Power, I'd even consider slowing down if the next fuel station was something else in hope that conserving fuel I'll eventually reach a shell garage. :smthumbup

Tesco's 99 hey, Did the pump have Blue and White stripes on it? sounds to me like they've bought in a bottom of range fuel to balance out their 99 and maybe the truck has dropped them in the opposite tanks by mistake....:confused: There could be some old chap going around in his one owner Mk 2 Fiesta pop plus, wondering why he's now got 44 bhp instead of 42 :crackup:

Regards

Mark

·
S.Wales R.O./Electrician
4,142 Posts
I use tesco99 most of the time, I've never had any problems, used v-power too, but didn't see a difference.

It might have been a bad batch, it does happen, there's no point in keeping the drained fuel, it will be no proof as it's been (potentially) contaminated in your tank.

Best course of action in this case (from the mrs who runs a tesco petrol station) is to return immediately and get them to do a sample of that exact pump. This will be proof enough for you and may get the problem fixed courtesy of the company to save another fuel scare. Too late now, but for anyone who finds themselves in the same situation.

HTH,

John.

·
Registered
19,543 Posts
Even the difference between 95 and 99 for normal running should not be that noticable, unless the fuel used has gone off.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts

i think you will find the stuff marked up as 97 is 99 as i know for a fact that my local tesco sells 99 but some of the pumps are marked up as 97 still and when i asked if it was differant i was told its all the same and they just have not changed the stickers on all the pumps.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
97 is Esso fuel not tesco's 99.

i think you will find the stuff marked up as 97 is 99 as i know for a fact that my local tesco sells 99 but some of the pumps are marked up as 97 still and when i asked if it was differant i was told its all the same and they just have not changed the stickers on all the pumps.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts