Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What miserable summer jobs did you all do when you were young?

As a student I spent my summer packing Christmas cards for Tesco in some dingy warehouse - far too tedious to automate, the very essence of misery! :wallbang:

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never worked til I was 20.

Ben I find it hard to believe you were working in Tesco :p
Lol.. it wasn't even Tesco... it was subcontracted.

It was my Dad's idea to introduce me to the "real" world... needless to say being dropped of in an Aston made sure I was automatically hated.

·
Premium Member
14,884 Posts
I used to stock produce and weigh customers fruit & veg in Wm Low (before Tesco bought them over) :blush:

Way back in 1988 that was £1.36 / hr :blah:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
What miserable summer jobs did you all do when you were young?

As a student I spent my summer packing Christmas cards for Tesco in some dingy warehouse - far too tedious to automate, the very essence of misery! :wallbang:
I used to do stocktakes for all the shops easiest was sports shops, worst was hardware stores when we had to count every screw/bolt/nut :goingmad:

Job i turned down was in an ice cream shop when i was asked to wear a T-shirt with "Ask me for a lick" printed on the front:blush:

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
I worked on the Eurostar, was a decent job with good pay. One trip each way per day and was paid all the time I was waiting for the return journey (which could be anything from 1 to 10 hours), but was free to do what I liked.

I did some Eurodisney trips which came with free access to the resort hotel and park, so I spent some hours getting paid to sit in a Jacuzzi. :D

·
Premium Member
19,830 Posts
I used to help organise/run a summer school for kids over the summer holidays whislt their parents where at work. Excellent fun getting to kick them around a football pitch, drown them in a swimming pool and feed them to the animals on days out :D

Andy

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
12 hour Nights putting dog food in boxes in a dog food factory for £4 an hour ............. from then i understood the meaning of 'hell on earth'

Funnily enough there was a lad who used to get dropped off in his dads aston who's now one of my best mates

It did work tho gave me an almighty kick up the arse to do well at college and make sure i got a good job !

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Changing targets on a rifle range,sat in a concrete bunker with bullets whizzing over our heads and thudding into a sand bank each summer! Danger money...

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
packaging fruit into bags as you buy it in the supermarket. after "gang fees" and transport costs were taken off, it came to around £3 an hour!

finally left after throwing a seriously mouldy apple (looked like a toffee apple/ snowball cross) across the factory and it smashing on a wall in a big gooey mess about 5ft from the floor manager!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I used to groom samoyed's. I worked for a famous breeder of them, she was a mad old bird in that peculiarly english way but mostly good fun. We used to keep the wool from the sammy's cos another mad old bat used to collect it and use it for knitting :confused:

It paid bugger all, but i loved it just the same :)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I worked in a Convent (yes - with Nuns) when i was 15/16 - enough said about that the better :thumbup:

Rob

·
Administrator
29,344 Posts
Worked with horses, and carried right through till a nasty fall stopped me riding them! Also worked in a market, and a delicatessen's.

·
Registered
10,906 Posts
Worked for an insurance company filing claim forms in alpha-numeric order, that was thrilling. Then in the hols before Uni I worked with my Mum in the Town Planning department of our local council which was actually quite interesting and I got paid the same as any other temp - £150 a week was a fortune in 1989!

A friend of mine worked in an apple packing factory. The conveyor would stop for 2 minutes while they swapped the bags over from Aldi to Marks & Spencer - same apples, different bag, very different price. Thanks to him I ALWAYS wash my fruit before eating :blah:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I worked for a place called seabait. Its a small company that breeds ragworms for sea fishing. It was the worst job going, and i made a massive £1.05 per hour!

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
one job was washing up in a **** hole of a kitchen that had a real bed infestation of cockroches where i was made to put tea cups into buckets of bleach to get the stains off,but the only thing it took off was the skin on my hands because they wouldnt give me gloves so it over 6 months after i left for the open sores on my hands to go away.another job which was great was sticking up down the local social club skittle ally.it did get a little dangerous as there was always some arse hole how would throw a ball down while you were sticking them back up but i normaly got my own back by lauching the the ball back down the shoot where it would jump off the end and hit the table wherethere pints were too,and normaly resulting in all the glasses going everywhere.it was good money as they would have a whip round and i would normaly get about £20-£30 a night on top of the wage which wasnt bad for a 14yo back in 1991

·
Registered
10,968 Posts
I worked at McDonalds for nearly 3 years and the Little Chef for 10 weeks!

Then i got a job treating sewage, and the rest is history :)

·
Premium Member
10,011 Posts
used to work at boots as a saturday lad in 1980 it was soooo depressing pay was £1.06 per hour, i used to go to the crucible and have 3 pints at lunch come back half ****** and stack all the shelves wrong .i left in 1981 funnily enough never been in a boots since ,then it was a very poorly run and our dressing room reecked of **** you had to hold your breath while you got changed .horrid place . told the floor manager to stick his job right where the sun doesnt shine:lol:

·
Registered
24,444 Posts
Back on topic...

I don't ever recall having a summer job, maybe I was a lazy git until I left school for college. Does car washing count think me and my brother did it for a few weekends for some dosh. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts