Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hopefully the 330 will be sold this weekend and i'm looking at spending up to £6k max and fancy a newish / low mileage / turbo diesel Hot / warm hatch.

Always fancied a Fabia VRS 1.9TDi (130 bhp) which I have test driven in the past and was very impressed with, but the white garish seats always put me off.

Then there's the Ibiza Cupra TDi (160bhp), but not many around at that price, and the ins group is still quite high (16).

Recently noticed the Fiat Grande Punto Sporting 1.9TDi Multijet (130bhp) which seems to be the best of the crop as it's also the cheapest ins group (6). They can also be remappped to 190bhp / 303lb/ft for £300.

Anyone got any experience of these 3 cars or have any other suggestions of newish / cheap to run hot hatches for £6k max?

·
Premium Member
11,686 Posts
I have owned a highly tuned VRS with full leather running 240/400 than test drove a standard VRS. It was terrible. I have also owned a Cupra Tdi and in stock it's much better.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, i'm favouring the Grande Punto as the best "all rounder" - going to view one tonight.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I agree Stewie, I never ever fancied a Fiat until I stumbled upon one of these the other night on the net and they seem to have a very good write up, and the interiors / seats look superb. Will be quite a sleeper with 190bhp.
Remember the car is mainly used by my lass for work, but I want to go across to the lakes in it every few weeks and not to cost a fortune in fuel (60mpg will be fine) !!

A bit like how Skoda have turned the corner in the last decade, it appears Fiat are also now following suit. Plus I can get a 2 yr old car for less than £6k ! (Yes, I know it will continue to depreciate fast).

·
Banned
272 Posts
Alfa 147 JTDm 16v.....surprisingly good and can be tweaked quite easily:smthumbup

Iain:coolsm:

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Geoff, have you thought about an Alfa 147 JTD or maybe even a 156 2.4JTD? :)
Not my cup of tea, but thanks for the suggestion.

Alfa 147 JTDm 16v.....surprisingly good and can be tweaked quite easily:smthumbup
Iain:coolsm:
As above ;)

i got a golf gt tdi they go well and comfy
I only like the Anniversary in the Mk3 and they are too expensive / mostly high milers.

I took the Punto out tonight and really liked it, but the car itself was rough.

Going to look at a Clio 182 Cup tomorrow as an alternative.

·
Registered
323 Posts
seat leon fr 2.0-litre TDI 168bhp direct-injection diesel unit, 206lb/ft tq, drove my sisters car the other day, unpleasently!! suprised at how rapid it was for a oil burner.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I test drove one of them last year (as a Co car demo) and loved it, but you can't get them for £6k !

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,805 Posts
Yeh, the 2 litre BMW diesel engine is awesome, 177bhp, 260ft/lbs, 58mpg combined, and £90 a year tax bracket.

Or a 123d, modified will have 250bhp and 360lbs/ft :headbang2

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
fiesta zetec s tdci on a 56 plate ish
Thanks but only 90 bhp so not enough power for me.

fabia vrs is a nice car but the polo gt tdi looks alot better with the same 130 engine:smthumbup
Thanks very much, I didn't know about them so that's another one for me to be looking at (exactly wahat I wanted from this thread, cheers guys) !

The BMW has now sold but I can't find anything as yet to replace it.

Colt CZT = Too small.
Clio 182 Cup = considering one but haven't been in one yet.
Fiesta ST150 = considering one but haven't been in one yet.
BMW 320TD = considering one but haven't been in one yet.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have been running a Fabia VRS for the past 4 years as a company car its done 85k miles, it gets the arse kicked out of it every time it is used, it gets used like a van (the back seats are folded down more than they are up) and its never missed a beat. The seats are a pig being light in colour, up until last week they had never been cleaned but I am due a new car shortly so thought it was time for a valet. To be honest they have come up really well.
If Skoda did a new shape Fabia VRS I would of probably went for another one.

Anyway Geoff the moral of my story is they are a cracking car and seem to be holding money well around the 5-6k mark so why not give one a try.

In the time you keep cars you wouldnt loose any money anyway and as for the seats by some seat covers.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks but I couldn't find a decently priced, low mileage one nearby, and hence bought this instead (which i'm picking up later today):-

(It's not the TD by the way, its the 2.5 V6)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts