Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to take my wife and 13 month old boy to spain in may but I dont want to fly.Ive looked at the ferry from Plymouth to Santander in Spain (650 quid) Alternatively Eurotunnel (320 quid).Does anbody know how far it is to Costa Dorada?
Am I asking for massive fuel bills and hassle (I live on the Wirral so its a hell of a drive to plymouth)
I realy fancy blasting through France and Spain and having our own car to sight see, am I being rational ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes I think you are. Haven't done it myself yet but I would like to. I heard from dad that cars on the train are handled quite roughly (anyone confirm this?)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can get a ferry from Portsmouth and amp; sail to spain with the car , I got friends who have their own Villa and do this every year no problems.

Last year I flew out , but after taking the hire car up the Ronda road from Marbella 39 km of twisting mountain pass I`ve vowed to take the E6 back there

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JohnW

It will be more expensive then flying, but not that much and lots more fun! Where exactly are you going? My bro works in a 4 Star Hotel in MArbella, let me know if you need a room really cheap. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Junichi san I bow in your direction,we have no firm plans but your offer is very tempting and changes the options. I would be more than gratefull if you could have a word with your brother about a reduced rate in his hotel. Could you let me know the name of the hotel please.
JOHN W 07801 444628

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JohnW

The Hotel is called Atalaya Park and it has a web site: it's http://www.atalaya-park.es

My brother is the Assistant Manager there (in charge of Food and Beverages in the 5 restaurants there). The Reservations Manager is a friend of his', so I'm sure something can be done. I need to speak to him tomorrow anyway, so I'll ask.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HH6 in spain you can get both 95 and amp; 97 ron fuel, alot of garages are shell so you may even get Optimax.

John.w - Let me know exactly where in spain you are going and i can tell you the distance (autoroute Europe)

Jeremy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats a nice hotel Claudius, it works out about 119 euros a night (£73.50).If you can get us a discount that would be great but if not, thanks a lot for trying!:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry mate, couldnt reach him, his mobile rang without answering, will try again tomorrow. When do you want to go? Off season you can get a good discount. :) Oh yeah, just realized I need to know when you are going, otherwise he wont be able to tell me the price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
119 EUR! Didnt realize it was that cheap already! :D I will ask him to make it more expensive for you!! http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/tongue1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Just kidding, will let you know asap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took my 5 from Yorkshire to Barcelona last year, did 3000 miles in a fortnight.The roads are a absolute dream in France and amp; Spain, highlight was side by side with an M3 AT 140, then he bottled it and amp; let me go.Can`t remember how much it cost in fuel, the visa bill ran to 3 pages.But fuel is cosiderably cheaper over there and amp; 98 ron available at every petrol station.Have fun.

Paul.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Claudius thats 119 euros each :( ,we are thinking off going the first two weeks in May for my birthday :)

Tilly what route did you go ? ferry to Spain or France, or Euro tunnel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
John,

Finally got hold of my bro'. He can do you a VERY special deal that is normally reserved to family members for
30 to 40 a day
That is EUROS! Per day per ROOM, not per person.

Let me know what you think ;)

Claudius

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
John W.

Being one of the few Spanish readers of this forum I should have been more active in this thread. Sorry about it.

Driving through France and Spain will be a great experience. As mentioned by Tilly, 98 RON is available everywhere, and you will find it very cheap at EUR 0.83 per liter in Spain (cheaper than in France, so if you want to save some money top up once you cross the border)

If you are going to stay in Marbella, you will be able to enjoy the roads around Ronda. I recommend you drive from Benalmadena or Mijas to Ronda (roads A387 and A366, around 60km of pure rally stage) and then back to Marbella using the faster A473. You can do it in the opposite direction too. Those are the roads pictured in the Toyo ad at Evo Magazine (the one with the BMW M5). Leave your wife enjoying the beach (My girlfriend threw up soon after we started the drive). If you decide to bring her, you can spend the night at the 'Parador de Ronda' (Paradores are state owned luxury hotels ). I remember we paid around EUR 120 for a very nice suit.

I hope it helps.

Enjoy!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yo John! :)

I'm going to Atalaya Park in Marbella now, staying there from April 3rd till 11th. Without the car unfortunately. Getting a nice room for 35 EUROS or so, and then a Suite upgrade for 50 EUROS! http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/tongue1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > Gf will be happy!

Where are you in Spain Rallyman?

Claudius

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Claudius,

I hope you are enjoying your time in Marbella!

Sorry, I have been away from the forums for the past 3 weeks because I have just relocated to Zurich and I don't have a computer in my new place. I have a lot of reading to do to catch up!

I just flew in to spend the weekend back at home in Spain. I am from Madrid, but have spent the past 8 years living abroad (New York, Paris, Singapore, Hong Kong, Geneva, Miami, San Francisco and now Zurich).

I sometimes drive South to Marbella and Benalmadena, as I have a few friends there. There are great roads to enjoy a car over there. Try the back road to Ronda!

Regards,

Rallyman

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You want me to drive up there with my bro´s S4?? LOL

Although I heard there´s a good restaurant up there :D ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts