Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
It seems not a lot of people talk about suspensions here. However, I think they are the most important thing on the car. Some fit lowering springs or HKS or Ralliart suspensions. I get the impression not a lot of people know the differences between different types of suspensions, ie what single / dual tube technology is, why gas is separated in canisters on some suspensions etc. You should be aware that with a good (expensive) suspension set up and brake pads that can take some heat you can go much faster that a suspension-standard Evo with 340 bhp.

Any thoughts?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
I'm always amazed at how many people chnage their suspension after having the car only a few weeks or so. It takes time to become familiar with how the standard setup works... And only then will you know what to change to make it better.

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
TonyC

Suspensions are the very basis of the car, it is the first thing to change to make the car faster!

What surprises me is how many people have exhausts, air filters, ECUs and standard suspensions with lowering springs!!

What do you mean how the standard suspension works??

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I can only second Tony.

Why should I change my suspension when I drive 2seconds per kilometre slower on a track than a good driver in the same car? For me that shows I can't use the abilities of the car enough yet. Especially on the road you won't reach the limit of the standard Mak suspension, maybe if you drive on gravel but that's another story.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Scoobymike's got my point.. http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > When I mod my cars I always mod the suspension. But I always leave it until I've got a good few thousands miles done before I look at what to do.

When I say 'how it works' I mean how to drive it and get the best out of it. Moving from a FWD or RWD car into AWD like the Evo needs some adjustment of driviung style and new techniques need to be learnt.

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Original Post:

Why should I change my suspension when I drive 2seconds per kilometre slower on a track than a good driver in the same car? For me that shows I can't use the abilities of the car enough yet. Especially on the road you won't reach the limit of the standard Mak suspension, maybe if you drive on gravel but that's another story.

Mike
So you are saying that other people can go faster with your car than you. OK, same for me and most people. So why does that mean you shouldnt modify the car? YOU will be able to go faster with it, which is (or should be!) the very point of why you bought the car! Why did you get an HKS exhaust? Olivier can go faster than you in a standard car. You know what I mean? I agree that you are not dancing on the limit with your std suspensions, but I dont think this is a reason to leave them as they are. I could tell you I dont increase boost because I am not able to change gears quickly enough. This whole driver thing lately is a stupid excuse for not spending money I think...

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Mate

excuse for spending money? Bit long awake I guess! The sun must be burning hot down there. If you use around 50% of the car's abilities what is more reasonable to improve your driving or the car? Go on a track day or driver training. For the money you spent on ICE or suspension I can drive a month together with Roehrl on the Ring. I know what I would take!

Enjoy your nice climate

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Mate

don't take it too personal. If everyone had the same opinion about their cars we would all drive the same wouldn't we. This is also just my own opinion. I would be more than grateful to have a proflex suspension you can bet on that. You have the focus to improve your cars performance my focus is currently on improving my driving (and then the car's).

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
How much money should I spend Claudius to create a car as quick as yours?I agree with you Scooby you always talk a lot of sense .

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
A car as quick as mine?? Mine is slow! What do you mean?

Oh, the JUN thing I mentioned? Havent got it (yet). I have to wait for a quote. I'll post it here.

Currently, I have a HKS Hyper Muffler still to put on (waiting to pass SVA on Tuesday for this), my Dynamic suspensions are leaking and I have OEMs, air filter, recirculating alloy dump valve (Forge), and a Sports ECU on order. I will get strut braces upper and lower fitted to improve handling, but when I get the modified Öhlins suspensions I will be happy...

I will probably just say What the hell one day (maybe after a track day or so) and send the fücking car to Japan...

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with TonyC/Scoobymike.

Although I have the full Drummond motorsport shocks, competition springs and pillowball mounts etc., I did this only after I had reached the limits of the stock suspension - and after several thousand miles of working out how exactly I wanted it to behave. Even then, I had to go through a few iterations before it was right. It does depend on what you use the car for. I use mine solely for track driving on circuits, so tyres, brakes and suspension are far more important than power (which is why I am leaving the bulk of the power mods till last). However, I would suspect that a standard EVO would out-handle my car on the public roads - as it is most definitely too stiff for normal road use, even with the adjustable dampers. Equally, a standard EVO would dissolve its front tyres trying to keep with my car on a track!

Finally, suspension|PLS|power is no substitute for skill! I have been outhandled, outbraked, and outdriven by a guy in a standard EVO - whilst mine was all modded up.
Mind you that was my first time out! I have had lots of lessons since then.....

One of the funniest things I ever saw was a Peugot 309, stripped and lightened, that destroyed just about everything (EVOS, Scoobys, TVRs, Ferraris etc.) at Castle Combe - simply because this guy had a properly setup car and he was a v. good driver

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Just to finish that one off - the total spend on that guy's car was less than my suspension|PLS|brakes!

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Blade,
But wud u b satisfied with that stripped out 309 ?
Thinking about this I remember the phrase from the Kennedy speach when he announced the moon landing program , we choose to do this , not because it is easy , but because it is hard

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, I was assuming you reached suspension limits already , sorry for the misunderstanding.

I dont think there's a point to mod the car for more power if you havent...

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Evoboy,

Of course not! We all found it funny on the day, that's all. For some of the more exotic cars, it was less than their service bills! It just shows that, on the track at least, you can have alot of fun without breaking the bank. Pug 205 GTI's are a good example of a car you can get cheaply, mod-up and have alot of fun.
I recall a guy a goodwood with a Saxo VTS and uprated brakes - just as quick round the track as the elises and many more exotic cars.

Wouldn't part with my EVO for any of those - infact, for anyother car!

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
I think most of the comments about what to do are born out of the fact that the people haven't experienced the difference that a single tube suspension makes. Once you've experienced that you wouldn't be writing what you're writing right now. It simply is something else and should have been the first mod that I ever did. Forget all other suspensions, Proflex or Öhlins is the way forward!! And Scoobymike, I don't think you'll be able to drive with Walter Röhrl around the Ring for a month for 7,500DM, more like two days if you're lucky

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Getting that sort of suspension is fine if you have the bak account for it and they actually make it for your car http://194.93.140.171/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > (Evo 1)
Never mind swapping dampers and springs, I've got to mess aorund figuring out how to alter castor and modify the geometry to produce anti-lift so the nose goes where I point it [img]http://194.93.140.171/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > under power. Springs and dampers won't help that. Lower may make it much worse.

I'll stick to fancy shocks and springs on my race car, my Evo is for the road so I like it tall enough to drive over sleeping policemen who are wearing top hats. he he.
My comment was based on the guys at my office who buy a hot-hatch or similar and straight away stick a lowering kit on it and then I STILL drive around the outside of them in a Corsa courtesy car. Lots of people seem to get a bit of body-roll and think Christ this cars ****. it needs lowering .

But tell me more about these dampers, etc.... And who the hell makes them for an Evo 1. (I've already got Cusco adjustable dampers and pillowball mounts with camber adjustment - and why can you adjust for about 10degrees negative camber - what the hell !?).

TonyC
(Still waiting for the car to get back on the road)

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Guys, a question for all you who have tried various suspension upgrades.

I live on the Somerset/Dorset/Devon border and tend to drive quickly down roads that are reasonably straight but are not well made i.e they just follow the contours of the land. This means that at speeds which you want to go down them if you have a hard suspension setup you can't as you end up bounced off the road. Would the Proflex/ohlins be too hard or can they be adjusted to be quire soft? Likewise any lowered car would end up removing its sump so is the ride height adjustable?

Any comments anyone???

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
TonyC,

there'll be a racing suspension for the 1 also, as it was also used for rallying. I'd try the usual suspects, i.e. Proflex and Öhlins.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts