Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i have owned my Evo IV for about 3 days now and i was begining to think the suspension was a little too hard for out totally crap roads so i had a look under and found that the shocks are adjustable.They seem to be manufactured by Reto and are red in colour with a round dial on them to turn one way for hard and the other way for soft.They are currently set half way and i feel every bump so i was thinking id like totry them with the setting at soft will this help ?. I am not sure how to do this and dont want to damage the shocks. Do i need the weight off the car or can it be done standing on level ground.Do i need any special equipment to adjust or can i just turn them and see the results. I am also unsure which way to turn them as there seems to be a line on the shock which i assume is the indicator and s is one side with h the other and arrows pointing to both.If i turn the dial in the direction of the s it takes the h towards the indicator if you get what i mean.Wont i need the s at the indicator for a soft setting ?.

Has anybody heard of these shocks ?. They are made in japan and are gas filled according to the label on them.

Cheers

Carl

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why is that m8 im just asking a few questions.If the noise of the exhaust is as it should be then im happy i was just a little concerned it was too loud and didnt really need to be.

Yeah the suspension is hard but if the adjustable suspension can soften it slightly them im very please with the car.It looks amazing and thats one of the main reasons i bought it.

Thanks

Carl

·
Registered
609 Posts
The suspension is supposed to be hard, it's a sports car. Also the loud exhaust is what you'll find with what's basically a road rally car. If you want smooth and quiet it's probably the wrong car mate

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see your point mate.To be honest i wasnt expecting it to be so raw but im sure i will get used to it.I would like to adjust the suspension onto a softer setting though, do you know how to ?

Cheers

·
Registered
609 Posts
No sorry mate, haven't a clue about the mechanical side of a car. I am led to believe the earlier Evos are a bit more hard core as they say. Good luck to you, i'm sure you'll learn to love the ruggedness

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
You will need to make sure that you adjust both the front and rear shocks to the same or similar settings.

If the front adjusters aren't underneath they will be in the topmount (may be covered)

You don't need to raise the car or have it level, just back the adjusters off to the softest setting and see how you get on ( I assume you need to go by the indicator - you'll soon know if it's the wrong way).

Changing the settings will affect the handling so don't push it without getting used to the new settings.

If they are setup for Japanese roads or track, they may be too hard even on the softest setting.

Cheers,

Simon

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
when i had coilovers fitted to my car i started at the softest setting, then turned it up one notch. drove around for a while then turned it up again. i carried on doing this until i was happy with the handling and ride.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What did you use to make the adjustments ?. Can it be done with finger pressure, does it need pliers or even a special tool ?.
I want to have a look and try different settings but i dont want to cause any damage.

Cheers

Carl

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine are different then.They have a dial type knob on them that seems as if it has to be turned in the desired direction.I might just have to try it and see since nobody seems to have heard of the brand.

Thanks anyway.

Carl

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
carlos50 said:
Mine are different then.They have a dial type knob on them that seems as if it has to be turned in the desired direction.
Just turn the knob fully clockwise on all the shocks, take the car out, if its harder try turning all the knobs anti-clockwise and take her out again.

Dont drive hard until you have a feel for the car.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
The majority of adjustable shocks are softest turned fully anti-clockwise - on some the knob/screw becomes tighter to turn as you go to the harder setting and you can feel it "loosen off" towards the softer settings...

As said before best set all four fully soft, then gradually increase the damping until you're happy with it...

Making the front harder may cause understeer and the rear harder oversteer, so you can "tweak" it to suit your driving :D

Cheers :coolsm:

Rog

·
Registered
720 Posts
RichW said:
Just turn the knob fully clockwise on all the shocks, take the car out, if its harder try turning all the knobs anti-clockwise and take her out again.
And, depending on the shocks, it's probably a good idea to 'count the clicks', so you know what setting they were on to begin with.

In fact, turn the adjusters full in one direction, counting the clicks, then turn them all the way back, also counting clicks.

Then when you work out which way is hard/soft you can dial in a setting between min or max and your previous point.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The car has a tendancy to be very bouncy on crappy roads does this mean the suspension is set too hard ?.I really feel every pot hole etc when im driving along.The shocks dont seem worn the car just bounces around a lot.

Cheers

Carl

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
It is probably over sprung and under damped - most Jap spec coilovers are specced this way - some of the newer stuff from e.g. EXE-TC shows how it should be done ;)

You will probably enjoy the car much more if you return to std shocks & springs tbh... You can pick these up for very little money on here...

Rog :coolsm:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts