Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 5 a year ago and it had new hsd coilovers on it
I've always found them a bit harsh for my daily driver / once in a while trackday and seems to eat tyres.
Hsd will do me a slightly softer spring for about 70 quid
I was really set on the idea of 8 9 bilsteins and eibach springs but at nearly a grand for new ones I'm going to have to sell some of my prize mods that I've built up to fund it
My question is am I really going to see much of a benefit with the bilsteins or can my coilovers be setup for decent tyre wear and a comfier everyday ride ?
I like the idea of the coil over and think they look great but it's easy for some to say Chuck em in the bin and get bilsteins if you have plenty cash .... Which I dont

Appreciate the advice from people on here as always

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
your tyre wear is due to your geometry settings. have you tried to adjust your suspension to make it softer? on the HSD though your always going to have a heavier feel to them though, its just the way they are.is it a bumpy ride or just a heavy feel?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Mainly the bumpy ride, I've adjusted them to the softest setting but I think unless they have a softer spring adjusting them hasn't made it comfier
I feel a bit like theres so much adjustment and setup in a coil over with getting the 4 corners and ride height and camber, etc etc that it's never going to be as easy and accurate as a fixed strut ie the bilstein and a four wheel alignment

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could do but if I'm going for ride then part worn suspension surely can't be the best think ?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Bumpy ride normally comes from damper valving, specifically the low piston speed area where they they try to provide too much compression force to aid steering response.
Bilstein actually are known to have the same issue with their OEM setup, which is why alot of people find OEM Bilstein quite harsh on the road.

While suspension ride quality is a combination of damper valving and springs rate, it really is more to do with the damper valving.
If you put it on the softest setting and still find the ride harsh bouncy, then the only real solution is to change the damper / revalve the damper.

You can try to put a different springs on, but that will only put a plaster over the wound.
It may work, but I would rather get something that are design to work together straight out of the box.

Jerrick

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
what would you recommend ?
Its more when ive got the kids in the car, I just want to make it that little bit more comfy / practical but i do like to do the odd track day and would like to keep the coilovers as new bilsteins are just under a grand which im willing to pay!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Buy second hand bilsteins. Can always have them serviced by Bilstein (think it's £70 each) so £200 + £280 servicing = £480...

Probably won't even need servicing though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts