Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Need new tyres for the evo so people with experience of both tyre can you give me your thoughts

Which one to buy ?

Car 99 percent road use

Cheers guys

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
As you say mainly road use then Michelin SuperSport is better allrounder than the AD08, which while a great tyre in the dry isnt great in the wet and MPSS will be better, same with the MPS4 which is pretty much a MPSS with slightly better round manners.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As you say mainly road use then Michelin SuperSport is better allrounder than the AD08, which while a great tyre in the dry isnt great in the wet and MPSS will be better, same with the MPS4 which is pretty much a MPSS with slightly better round manners.
Never looked at Michelin tyres before so know nothing about them. I assume the supersport is there top tyre?

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Never looked at Michelin tyres before so know nothing about them. I assume the supersport is there top tyre?
Depends what size but yes if you can get it in your size the Supersport is best road tyre but it is being fazed out in many sizes, the Pilot Sport4 and Pilot Sport 4-S are its replacements and not available in all sizes, they also do more track focused tyres like Pilot Sport Cups in some sizes as well which is low tread and more track focused.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depends what size but yes if you can get it in your size the Supersport is best road tyre but it is being fazed out in many sizes, the Pilot Sport4 and Pilot Sport 4-S are its replacements and not available in all sizes, they also do more track focused tyres like Pilot Sport Cups in some sizes as well which is low tread and more track focused.
I be looking 245 40 18

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Have you tried both tyres buddy
Yes well sort of, I had the older AD08 on my old Evo2 sprint car for a couple of seasons and they were very good, apart from in the wet, then when I got my Evo9 I fitted new Supersports to that and was impressed, not quite as good feel on a dry track as the Yoko but not far off and much better in the wet.

Ian

·
Senior Citizen
3,956 Posts
I've had two sets of the pilot sport 4's. One set on my 5 and one on my 10.

I'm getting another set fitted to the 10 on Saturday morning.
I really like them.

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,801 Posts
Have you tried both tyres buddy
I've used Supersports and now Cup 2's on my Megane RS. The supersports are the best all round road tyre I've ever used, by far, and the new PS4S are even better.

The Cup 2's are superb, but primarily a warm weather tyre. They don't 'turn-on' unless the temps are above approx 8-10 deg.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've used Supersports and now Cup 2's on my Megane RS. The supersports are the best all round road tyre I've ever used, by far, and the new PS4S are even better.

The Cup 2's are superb, but primarily a warm weather tyre. They don't 'turn-on' unless the temps are above approx 8-10 deg.
Hi Clive

Am I right in saying the ps4s are not available in 18's?

·
Registered
378 Posts
They are both different tyres. The Michelin SuperSport is a good every day tire for the street with the occasional track day in mind. The Yokohama AD08R is a more serious street legal track day tire with higher levels of dry grip. In actual fact the ADO8R is very decent in the wet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have AD08R on my Evo and have driven PSS on BMW's. The AD08R and AD08 are a different kettle of fish in the rain. The new compound is much better in the wet to the point where I would say that the AD08R is a great tire on wet roads barring standing water. The main difference between AD08R and PSS is the stiffness of the sidewall, the AD08R being much stiffer more like a motorsport tire. One issue with the AD08R is that to my knowledge it does not tolerate sub-zero temperatures. So the tire is not usable in cold temperatures and needs to be stored in a heated environment, similar to true R compounds which it isn't. So if you want to have a road tire that tolerates some motorsport use that wears well and only drive when it is warm outside go Yokohama. The PSS does not steer quite as well, does not tolerate heat as well, but is more comfortable, usable year around and better in standing water. So for an only car PSS all the way .... just don't expect it to be useful on snow.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts