Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess all of us use Super Unleaded most of the time and I assumed this to be 98 octane, close enough to the 100 octane that these Japanese cars were designed for. However after my local BP was rebuilt I noticed that they were proclaiming to sell 'Super Unleaded 97'. The Esso across the road was still displaying 98 octane, but today I've noticed they now have randomly located labels with 97 on some pumps.

What gives here? Have we now to accept this lowering in the quality of our fuel? I noticed that the price hasn't changed.

Anyone know of a site where you can find out what the British Standards are?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have it on good authority that all SUL will be dropping to 97 Ron.
This may have implications for us so M.A.Developments will be doing tests on 97 to check for any detonation, this will of course not be a problem when the phase 1 conversion is completed as it will be mapped to run on the new fuel.

Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run my Evo 1 on normal unleaded 90% of the time without any problems whatsoever...............

I can tell a difference when I put super in though!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I too notice a difference when I put Super Unleaded in my Evo IV.

But I'd love to try some of that Octane Boost Chunky talks about on his web site. Chunky or anyone know where I can get some from or what the product name is?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the octane booster from my local motorbike shop in Glasgow, M and amp;Ps I think it's called.

Bikers are even more daft than turbo-4 drivers, apparently most good bike accessory shops should hold some. You could also try asking around at local race tracks/drag meets.

HTH.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops!, forgot product name:

Putoline Octane Booster, black metal 1 litre tin with Dutch writing on.

The guy that suggested trying some booster talked about 'Pro-Boost', but I wasn't able to find this locally. From the way he was talking this Pro-Boost is a lot more concentrated than the stuff I used.

There is quite a bit (from a Yank perspective obviously) at the DSM website about octane boosters if you are interested.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try Silkolense Pro Boost. It worked in my old STi5 Sccoby so it should do the trick here. I will try it on my EVO6 and see...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the same problem with Super Unleaded, I first rung BP because most of the garages had stopped selling Super and replaced those pumps with LRP. They told me of four garages that still sold Super fairly near to me and off I went to check them out. All the pumps now had 97 on instead of 98 so I rung BP again to ask them what was going on. They said 98 Ron petrol was discontinued since October even though the pumps still said 98, also all garages Shell, Esso etc had changed as well. I then went to my nearest Shell garage which just said Super Unleaded on the pumps so I explained to the guy in the garage and he said Shell are still keeping to 98. I thought I'd ring Shell just to make sure, when I spoke to the expert on fuel he told me the same as BP that since October last year 98 was out and 97 in!!!! and they know the pumps are wrong but they will be changed.
So and I'm getting near the end of my story I spoke to an Evo Mitsubishi Dealer who said he new that the petrol had been changed and that the Evo 6 had no problem running with 97 Ron. So I guess as I've only had my car since October it's been running on 97 Ron from new and I didn't even know!!!!!

Hope this is of some help
Cheers Karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could always use an additive called Toluline (I think that's how you spell it!).

Trouble is, it's hard to get hold of and if you touch it you'll get cancer!!

And NO! I'm not joking!!

I think a lot of motorsport teams use it, but of course, they don't use it officially .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On my EVO-6 I have removed the cat and have run happily on normal unleaded (arround town) and 4 star, now 4 Star LRP on track days. In the Six months that I have used the car the reduction in pertol costs have paid for the 'replaced cat' (Not to mention the increase in power)

I cannot honestly say that I have noticed any loss of power by not using Super Unleaded.

Regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just been running the car on the dyno and the chappie says that LRP 4 star attacks the turbo vanes. Anybody else heard of this one?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, I seem to remember something like that being mentioned for owners of original (red cam-cover) Cosworths. The potassium (or whatever) forms acidic compounds in the exhaust or something and accelerates the wear on the turbine blades.

Someone who knows what they are talking about want to clear this up?

I'll shut up now :/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i`ve heard that if you swallow chewing gum it gets wrapped around your navel is this true???
I looked up paranoid in the dictionary this morning and it said what do you want to know for!!!
help i`m going to bed to stay there forever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts