Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone please give me a simple explanation of what the screw on the back of the HKS Super SQV dump valve is/does, and does it cause any problems doing it up??

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lee,
screw adjusts spring pressure on the valves , but not AGAINST boost pressure , boost pressure forces the valves closed hence no leaks.

The amount of spring pressure will determine how quickly the valves open when lifting off the throttle , so really it is a sensitivity adjustment.

The more the screw is turned in the less easily the valves will open on lift off .
In practice if there is 2 little spring pressure the valve will cause stalling problems in town driving.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for replying so quickly...

for performance issues, do we want the valve opeing quickly (so the screw is out, so would mean keep undoing it until you have idle problems and then putting it back a bit), or do we want the spring opening slowly (screw in), to keep hold of some of the stored up boost??, or does this slow the turbo down?

sorry if these are crap questions, but i dont want to be crippling my car with me fiddling with something wrong.

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lee, what have you done to your HKS SQV screw setting and have you got the idling/stalling problem fixed?! i'm currently experiencing similiar problem on my E4 and thought of getting HKS EIDS Type-K to overcome it... but if simply adjusting the screw helps, i rather save my $$$.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont know what the conversion does....

wind the screw in a turn, go for a drive, if still no good do it some more.

if you put a bit of tipex on the nut you can see how far you have turned it

mine is fine no stalling or jumping about

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info lee...

hmmm, there's also a washer nut (which locks to the SQV base) on the adjustment screw, should i loosen this first before adjusting the screw CLOCKWISE (or turning the screw in)?!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that is to stop the screw vibrating in or out, so just loosen it off, turn the screw then wind the nut back flush to the unit...

lee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts