Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shortly going to replace the big end bolts with the ARP ones. I am aware that the sump is bonded on and went to my Mitsubishi main dealer for some sealing compound. They want almost £50.00 for a tube of the sealant, which they admit is excessive, but say this is because there is enough of the compound for 4 or 5 applications - I only want to do the job once!

Has anyone used non Mitsubishi sealant and if so, please can they advise what they used and from where it is available.

Many thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Zippy

Used the Mitsi compound on mine just to be sure, make sure you give it plenty of time to dry before you put the oil in.

Rgds Kevin A

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zippy,
Did my bigend bolts myself and used Loctite Ultra Grey RTV Silicone Gasket maker ,#18581.

The only tube size I cud obtain was 300 ml and fits a standard trigger type caulking gun.

Price was about £15-20 from memory , try a local loctite stockist.

It is VITAL to remove all traces of the old sealer which is a b....r of a time consuming job , it is also VITAL to allow the sealer to cure , at current temperatures at least 12 hours before filling with oil and running.

My sump joint was misting slightly before I did the B/E bolts , it's now as dry as an Arab pub

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ZIPPY, have put oil in and run engine in 2025mins with mitsubishi sealer,goes of in 15 mins.Good stuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Evoboy

Many thanks for your advice and details of which Locktite product to use.

Eric

Hopefully time not an issue, but your helpful comments noted all the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts