Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I need some liquid gasket sealant for a sump. Now the OEM mitsubishi sealant (MD997740 or MD970389) is £45. Can anyone in the know tell me if the OEM sealant is the same sealant that's sold from Permatex(ultra grey) without the price tag? Would Locite 5910 do the job or Threebond 1215:confused:. If the genuine oem sealant that is sold though the mitsubishi network is the only one too use then that's fine but don't really want to waste ££'s if it's not really necessary. Thanks :smthumbup

·
Registered
731 Posts
Three Bond Black is excellent, OEM Suzuki and I use it on all motorcycle engine builds (fit and forget!).

It used to be £40 a tube but it's now down to about £12..

·
Registered
625 Posts
It's all the same stuff.

They put different dyes in it, they put it into different tubes with different names on it........but it's all silicone rubber.

It all works.

I use the clear "bathroom + tile sealer" from the local hardware shop.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It's all the same stuff.

They put different dyes in it, they put it into different tubes with different names on it........but it's all silicone rubber.

It all works.

Thanks for the input Fred:smthumbup but I don't think I'll be using bathroom & tile sealer on the sump anytime soon.:)
A friend has given me a half a tube off the OEM sealer plus I've got a tube off the Threebond 1215.

·
Gizzmo Distributor
8,573 Posts
It's all the same stuff.

It all works.

Are you for real?
The Loctite products have different "ingredients"...

·
Registered
26,575 Posts
Are you for real?
The Loctite products have different "ingredients"...
Loctite 598 - used it for years - great stuff.
To be fair Grant he's not really wrong. Loctite is just a Oxime silicone which under a different name can be brought for £2-3

the comment Different "ingredients" is actually laughable, What different Silicone!! same **** different name!

Reactions: Mita

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,804 Posts
I used normal silicone sealant as my sump sealant for years with absolutely no issues or leaks, which of course I wouldn't because the chemical and temp properties are well within it's limits for the task.

We use normal RTV silicon sealants in lots of different areas of aircraft, for repair and maintenance, the main difference in properties being temperature and viscocity. The higher temp stuff (not far above normal silicon sealant) was used for repairs in the hot section of the turbine engines, approved by the airworthiness authority to protect areas of the £8 million pound engines.

And yes Grant, I'm for real. :crackup:

·
Gizzmo Distributor
8,573 Posts
To be fair Grant he's not really wrong. Loctite is just a Oxime silicone which under a different name can be brought for £2-3

the comment Different "ingredients" is actually laughable, What different Silicone!! same **** different name!
Loctite RTVs come in quite a few different types, each with a different cure time and resistance to fuel, oil, antifreeze etc. Plus each one seems to have different elasticity and gap build limits.
Whilst obviously the base "ingredient" has to be the same, the additives with it must be different to give different physical properties (except for the colour).

You don't agree?
If you don't that's fine, but I'd tend to take note of the Loctite tech sheets myself.

·
Twincharger Guru
4,554 Posts
I use the Wurth grey sealant as it also has a good chemical bond to the block and sump whereas silicone doesn't have nearly as good a bond and it can start weeping over time. Silicone perhaps for things like water pumps but not sumps that have larger gaps and a bit of flex in use.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts

what thats like saying shell v power is the same as asda standard. of coarse they all use the same base but one is like water the other is petrol. would you put asda's finest in your evo i think not. :confused:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts