Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help - confused

Which is better, as both are available locally for us.

SUL at 78p ltr or Optimax at 75p ltr

Tried Optimax and cant really say that we noticed any difference to running on SUL.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BigE,
Can't say I've noticed any power gains running Optimax but it should run better due to the higher RON (98.4 I think).
It'll take a few tankfuls to notice the difference because the ECU has to adapt to the new fuel and adjust its settings accordingly.
The only difference I've noticed is an increase in fuel economy but every little bit helps on an Evo :)

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Optimax for me.

Usually struggle to get 200 miles out of a tankful, now getting about 220 - 230 miles doing the same sort of driving.

In terms of performance, I thought I felt a difference first time I used Optimax, but that was probably more to do with the weather, temperature, etc.

Anil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get a little better fuel economy with Optimax, its also higher Octane and therefore better for the evo, Shell also state that it should clean your engine of all the nasty deposits that SUL has left behind and (obviously) it won't leave the same deposits itself.

I haven’t seen any independent confirmation of this but I've been putting nothing but Optimax in my e6 since Trax and I'll continue to do so :)

Eventually you are going to have to change to something other than SUL anyway due to EEC restrictions on sulphur emissions (erm I think that's right but the shell site is so slow I can't confirm)

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK - thanks for that guys, I think we will keep using it a bit longer and see if we notice any change, used to get about 210 miles to tank full, forgot to check what we got with Optimax (Doh). Also, if its cleaner and better for the engine and cheaper, more reasons to stick with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have filled up with Optimax since I ahve had my car. However, the other day I had to get fuel on the motorway and could only get regular SUL. No doubt in my mind the car was not so responsive. I am also very anal about checking fuel consuption and I got 2.5 miles per gallon less from that tank than with Optimax. Maybe I was gunning the engine more to make up foe the slight reduction of power. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, as much as I try to like Optimax I can't say that it realy impresses me much after several tank full's. I shall report back on this at a later date but early indications are that it's not a patch on Esso SUL for performance and is no better or worse for economy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rob VI

Cheaper doesnt always mean better, but will end up with no choice once SUL stops anyway.

Blonde

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Much of my day to day driving is similar so I have been able to get fairly accurate mpg figures from my VI with stage one mods. On SUL, I always did an average of 21.3, but having run on Optimax for quite a few weeks now, I can report a full 2mpg increase to 23.3mpg.

I would agree with other comments in terms of any performance increase is probably all in the mind, but a close on 10% increase in mpg can't be bad. Also noticed that shopping around has produced interesting price results. I always used to get my SUL from the local Sainsburys, but have now found Optimax at one Shell garage actually cheaper. All in all, I actually think for once an oil company has done something really positive.

Also, the point mentioned about the EC regulations and sulphur emissions, this is what is said on the Shell site....
Shell Optimax is an ultra low sulphur petrol which meets EU emissions standards which come into force in 2005.

So, we can all relax and just look forward to better availability of the product as that seems its only weakness right now.

Ian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting reply from Cookie about Esso SUL. I've noticed that the car def feels different with Esso SUL. Use Optimax now though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
optimax is tops! I got 265 miles out of one tank (46Litres) this week. That equates to 27mpg, and it's a 5. it was wife driving though, and all m/way. Still, could be a record!?

Can't notice any difference in performance but it is cheaper than sul, that will do for me!

p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Strange this, but the EVO seems to run perfectly well on Optimax. But when I filled my Clio 172 with it there was a noticeable REDUCTION in performance. My mates 106 GTi is fine on the stuff????? Go figure.

Adrian

Optimax gives the same size flames as ESSO SUL!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really have to wonder about everyones driving style, I honestly get around 170 miles to a tank, might be a little more but when I refill I'm usually putting around 40 litres back into the car, this 170 includes 70 miles on a dual carriage way. I've got a stock e6 GSR, either I'm enjoying myself too much or people are driving like grannies ;) (taking the **** don't get all offended on me).

Anyway if you all drove with a little more vigor what whould you expect to get out of a tank.

Before you ask, I've only had the car for 4 months and every day I drive it, it puts a smile on my face

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In reply to Ryan, although I am managing to average 23mpg now, I did achieve 8.1mpg at Donnington !

That was certainly driving with vigour :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ryan 170 miles to the tank? I know I have a smaller tank, but I'm averaging 110 to 120 miles to a tank, I'm not a totallnutter at driving either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ant

Either you are driving like a total nutter or the fueling on your car is interesting. I get over 200 miles out of a tank! During the week I did a very fast run up the M40 followed by 40 miles of stop /go fast stuff in convoy with a mate in a GT3. I had to work hard to stay close :D However, still got just on 20 MPG so I am happy. I suspect that the motorway bit helped the consumption because at a steady ton I have been getting about 23 MPG.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My car goes like a train,10mpg SUL 12mpg Optimax wonder what I would get on the track?Apexi fuel controller will give me more mpg,performance doesnt come cheap,if your running high boost and getting 20mpg your getting detonation ,unless your very lucky.:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts