Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right so I've gone to move my car off the drive it fired up pretty much alright then I reversed it about 6 foot and it cut out. I turned it over again started after a bit of hesitation then a bit of white smoke and died.
I checked under the bonnet the intake pipe was off and a small puddle of water just before the turbo. So ithat looks like it's tried to hydrate itself.

Now what. I'm guessing plugs out and let it dry or is it plugs out turn it over what???

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Unfortunately it may be a whole lot more than that required. Remove the plugs, crank it over and see how much water comes out. Dry the plugs and replace and I would then change the oil and filter as a matter of precaution.Then try to strat it keeping it at idle and carefully monitor oil pressure before driving.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately it may be a whole lot more than that required. Remove the plugs, crank it over and see how much water comes out. Dry the plugs and replace and I would then change the oil and filter as a matter of precaution.Then try to strat it keeping it at idle and carefully monitor oil pressure before driving.
Yeah there hasn't been a lot of water out of it with plugs removed just signs of water on plugs. Was water sitting in the inlet and intercooler pipes just drying it all out now. Need to get some new plugs.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So got it started ran for probably less than a minute on idle was fairly high so killed it. Checked the oil and it's got the dreaded white mayo build up and also on the dip stick to. So going to drop the oil change the filter.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I would run some cheap oil through with some engine flush .. Save oil and flush. Run it through again .. Turn engine over between each flush(spark plugs removed) . Then fill with propper oil and get it all warn to expell any moisture.. Then drive !!!!

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how did the water get there?

Stu
My air filter had been removed when working on it before I went away and hadn't been put back on so rain water etc had gathered in it. There was a puddle at the turbo both end of the intercooler had water in them and at the throttle body was sign's of water. Car had been standing for a while under a car cover as I work away so don't get much time to work on it. Going to look for a garage to store it now haha

Managed to get the oil clean and running a bit better still got plenty of work to do though.

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
My air filter had been removed when working on it before I went away and hadn't been put back on so rain water etc had gathered in it. There was a puddle at the turbo both end of the intercooler had water in them and at the throttle body was sign's of water. Car had been standing for a while under a car cover as I work away so don't get much time to work on it. Going to look for a garage to store it now haha

Managed to get the oil clean and running a bit better still got plenty of work to do though.
think id be tempted to do a quick compression test just to be sure all is ok

Stu

·
Registered
711 Posts
I thought worry with water was it doesnt compress? Suppose removing plugs will expell it but i would remove all pipes boost pipes and intercooler to make sure all waters gone

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I completely stripped it all down pipes off even stuck a heat gun in and dried it all up. Didn't get any water out he plugs. After I flushed it a few times seems to be ok I'm going to have another look today got a few things that need doing before paint.

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
I thought worry with water was it doesnt compress? Suppose removing plugs will expell it but i would remove all pipes boost pipes and intercooler to make sure all waters gone
Yes, you are right, thats the problem, so when the piston tries to compress the cylinder volume, it is less compressable due to the water in there, so can damage rods, maybe pistons or rings

A little may not be enough to do damage, but if the car isnt running right afterwards, it is worth checking the compression

Stu

1 - 13 of 13 Posts