Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many of you guys have experienced I expect, stripping down my 6 I have snapped a few bolts and not sure what the best way to extract them are?

The ones im most concerned about are where the steel bolts go into Ali, IE rear sub frame. I have been told to try an easy-out / stud extractor where you centre punch the middle of the snapped bolt, drill out a hole and then use the easy-out to extract it...

Problem is I have also heard if the easy-out snaps then you are in the crap as they are harder than the steel bolt...

Only other way I guess would be to keep drilling it out completely and use a tap & die set to check the thread, failing that a helicoil?

Just wondering what others have had luck with and what you think is my best option to get these gits out?

Cheers :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
20,608 Posts
Age old conundrum :handsup:
Last issues I had removing front bumper (not too sensitive as around exhaust manifolds etc granted ) was loads of snapped bolts , even after plenty of wd 40 etc ....they were never removed obviously previously lol !
I drilled them out with progressively bigger drill bits , and managed to unscrew the last remnants with care ...was happy as I don't have tap dye kit :mhihi:
Patience ftw :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
have the same problem I have easy outs and they didn't budge so ill try some heat and easy out and let you know how I get on

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys, I did soak bolts in wd40 etc and wire-brushed where I could to avoid this happening but suppose its inevitable :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts