Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the lowest weight that can be achieved by stripping out an MR with a starting weight of 1400kg.
Am including every non essential item, but car is still road legal and has 2 front seats.
Ideas and suggestions please. :D

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
I think Blade got his VI RSX down to 1000kg

The car was just a stipped out worthless shell with a decent engine and brakes in the end though.

So if you want to crucify any value in your car Rob, follow his lead.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Rob..

What mosi says is not really true.. ;) but does have some basis.

Look at what you want to use the car for and then prioritise the weight loss.

Road car:

Very light alloys - Volk Te37 or CN28 5-6kg a wheel - 20kg off.

Carbon bonnet, boot, wing, rear doors. mirrors - 50KG off.

Light weight seats - Recaro SPA carbon/kevlar etc - 3.5kg a seat. You will lose another 30kg.

Ti downpipe and exhaust - again another 15kg

Light weight brakes - Endless/AP - all alloy billet calipers. Lot lighter than the Brembo cast iron jobs. - 10kg maybe.

You may well be able to net off 100kg if you are lucky which will make a big difference.

If track only - perspex windows, no interior, single seat, rip out AYC, Air con, electrics. Super light everything. Ti fixings the lot.

Same as mine if for track. Target weight will be 1000kg.. :D Ifg you rip everything out and cut out all the metal that is not needed then the car will only be a track car and can't every be sold as anything else.

However - its value will still be high. Make sure you set a full weld in cage though and T45 as well. that way of the shell is straight then it is worth at least 5K on its own.

Cheers,

Rich.

Cheers,

Rich.

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
The more you compromise your car, the more difficult it becomes to sell.

Tony got £12k back on his £80k Evo investment when what was left was stripped down and sold as bits.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Let me know if your gonna be serious on this Rob, got loads of lightweight stuff incl :-

wheels
seats
lexan window set (full set barring windscreen)
cage
brakes

the list is endless.... just need a bank balance like Blades!
Rob

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EVO6RSS said:
Rob..

What mosi says is not really true.. ;) but does have some basis.

Look at what you want to use the car for and then prioritise the weight loss.

Road car:

Very light alloys - Volk Te37 or CN28 5-6kg a wheel - 20kg off.

Carbon bonnet, boot, wing, rear doors. mirrors - 50KG off.

Light weight seats - Recaro SPA carbon/kevlar etc - 3.5kg a seat. You will lose another 30kg.

Ti downpipe and exhaust - again another 15kg

Light weight brakes - Endless/AP - all alloy billet calipers. Lot lighter than the Brembo cast iron jobs. - 10kg maybe.

You may well be able to net off 100kg if you are lucky which will make a big difference.

If track only - perspex windows, no interior, single seat, rip out AYC, Air con, electrics. Super light everything. Ti fixings the lot.

Same as mine if for track. Target weight will be 1000kg.. :D Ifg you rip everything out and cut out all the metal that is not needed then the car will only be a track car and can't every be sold as anything else.

However - its value will still be high. Make sure you set a full weld in cage though and T45 as well. that way of the shell is straight then it is worth at least 5K on its own.

Cheers,

Rich.

Cheers,

Rich.
Was curious as an exercise more than application..
But more in just stripping out bolt on bits, that could be replaced if car was sold, as in interior, AC..etc could you lose 100kg just stripping.?

I could personally lose 20kg just staying off curry and Stella. :p

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
the air con unit probably weighs arnd 20kg max, and the rear seats weigh fu(k all any way, about 10kg. So I don't think that'll be worth doing.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If you are doing msa sprints you have to make sure you pass the scrutineers as some interior is required in some classes..and you can only do so much with carbon and persex(msa blue book), unsprung mass is the best way to start to make improvements as has been said.. :)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Might be worth bearing in mind that 100kg saving could all be lost if u take lard ar5e passengers out on track with u :D

Darryl

( maybe try "guessing" ;) your lap times with and without a passenger to assess the difference before u start stripping)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
that would cost a fortune !!! if i were you i would put that dosh in the engine mods , and maybe light weight seats , remove rear seat , A/C , spare wheel , etc...

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Once you've costed this lot up you might find its cheaper to flog your car and start again with an RS...

·
Super Moderator
7,386 Posts
You will never get an evo down to 1000kg unless you space frame it and change the running gear ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts