Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an E6 and when it is on a left lock I get a strange 'Knocking' noise from the drivers side front wheel ! I've just had it to my local Mitsi Garage and they say that there is nothing visibly wrong / worn with the car. They say that they checked the bushes, links, wheel bearings the lot and there is nothing wrong with it. What a load of Bo*****s.

Does any one have any ideas or had a similar problem. I think it could be the drive shaft or CV joint. :)

Lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Strut and top mount, bet ya. Common problem, dont know why dealers havent figured this one out yet.......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would take it back to the Mitsi garage that you mention and drive it right through their showroom window, then ask them if they can see anything visibly wrong with it.

Seems like none of the Mitsi garages bar Ralliart in Dudley have got a clue about Evo's.

Its a long way for you to travel, but I'd contact Dave Hill at Steve Hill Motorsport (01844 201025) and ask him what he thinks over the phone first - I seem to recall something similar happening on my Evo V years back and they sorted it.

Mozz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr Evolution........could be the transfer box..tell them to take a look...common problem.

R
Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure if this applies to you but I had the same problem before after I had my car's geometry set-up. Turned out that its because it had to much toe-in on the front wheels. Anyway, hope you get it sorted out ... I know that sound can be a real pain in the *** ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oooohhhh knocks don't you just love'em!!! Just sorted another one on mine that sounded like the wheel was falling off, again like Jspeed it appeared a week after a geometry set-up but I don't think it was related to the settings used.
Firstly I wouldn't class the front diff or top mount as common, possible yes but not common. I have heard of 4 or 5 cases of each in the last 2 years on here so not really that common (although I may have wrongly suggested that in the past).

MrEvolution,
First what car is it? Standard wheels and tyres?
I know you say it is on left lock but is it a regular knock with every revolution of the front wheel or only intermittant? Can you get it to do it all the time on left lock? Does it only do it on full lock or does it start on say 3/4 and gradually get worse until full lock? Does it only knock when going over bumps? Has it suddenly appeared or got gradually worse? Can you feel anything through the steering wheel or pedals when it's happening? Have you had any work done on the car recently? Grab hold of the top of each front wheel and push/pull it in and out, can you feel any difference in the movement between the two? (get your hands right round and feel the rim and not the tyre)
If the noise is easily repeatable then stop the car when it is doing it and rock the car back and forth so it makes the noise and then try grabbing hold of driveshaft, steering and suspension components separately to feel where the knock is worse. You may need someone to help you with this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also get a knocking noise from my front suspension area(Evo7) but only on roughish roads
Caused me some concern at first but Ralliart in Dudley said they couldn't find anything wrong the last time I was there.
So thought its part and parcel of EVO ownership. Obviously not. I'll get them to check it out again next time.

Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL, your dealers talking crap.

I`m having the same problem with my car, mines an intermitant knocking.Been into the dealers three times now(they`ve had it 7 weeks this last time!!), only the last time did they hear it knocking properly and couldnt believe it, the other two times they had heard it, but not when its at its worst( but credit where its due, they never dismissed it as been nothing to worry about).

Now they want me to return the car on the 8th for more fault finding to be done on the car (i`ve only got it back as i insisted i wanted it for this weekend!).

So far ive had center diff stripped(twice), gearbox stripped(twice), brakes stripped, front struts and top mounts checked, drive shafts checked...the list goes on.

Will report back once i finally get it sorted!

My advice is to tell them/Mitsubishi you no longer feel safe driving the car, as if something fails at high speed it could be fatal to both you and your passengers and your not willing to take the chance etc..... be prepared to not see your car for a long time like me though :(

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks alot to all who have replied and give me their comments, cheers http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks alot to all who have replied and give me their comments, cheers http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had knocks and rattles which come and go on my suspension for the last 2 years of ownership.....They have never got worse and I have had my car checked many times.

I have always thought that my E4 was a little noisey due to its age and wear and tear etc, but on driving other Evo's and reading this forum, I have come to the conclusion that a knock free car is a rare beast. I drove one imac Evo for 30 miles and was really impressed cos it didn't rattle or knock during the trip. I arrived home and pulled on to my path, applied hard left lock and Gunnk !

I GIVE UP !!!!!

Jonathan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts