Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's the story......

Yesterday, using the car fine, pulled up, left it for 30 mins, came back to it, went to start it, fuel pump primed as normal, but engine didn't crank, tried it again, and nothing, tried it again and held the key turned, then it cranked and fired fine......

Came to it tonight, got in the car, turned the key, fired normal, drove it for 20 mins then left it 3 hours, got back in, started completely normal again, came home to get changed, left it for 15 mins, went to start and nothing again, and this time it wouldn't crank at all.

Quick search on internet, came out with starter motor issues, so got underneath (in puddles.... nice), found starter motor, tightened up positive nut (was tight anyway), banged it with a spanner a couple of times, tried it again and fired first time.

Now i'm a bit worried it might do this while i'm out.......

Any sort of ideas or clues, but be greatly appreciated, and beer tokens!!!

(Sorry for the long story).

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
(2004 evo 8 fq 300)

·
Registered
782 Posts
If u need to use the car ...
best park on a slope or hill so u can bump it:smthumbup

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will try the hill parking one.... lol

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like the starter motor mate, check the spade terminal for corrosion just incase but you need to check the solenoid is getting fed 12volts when the key is in the cranking position.
If it is getting fed but its not starting its the starter motor.
Thanks mate, I will try this tomorrow. :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
Evo8 260 2004
2,357 Posts
Take the positive cable off and clean up connector. Had same trouble, solved once aa had cleaned up connector

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take the positive cable off and clean up connector. Had same trouble, solved once aa had cleaned up connector
so I was under it again at 8 this morning, removed starter motor guard, cleaned up positive and negative terminals, and all seems good so far, but I will only find out if it hasn't worked when it doesn't start again.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice!!
:lol:

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Take the whole starter off open it up and clean the crud out. I did mine having never done it before just following the exploded diagram I found in the workshop manual and not had a single problem since. Or just chuck a new one on there not expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts