Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe some other Sports ECU users can enlighten me.

I'm not so happy about the boost characteristic of my Sports ECU. When coming on boost it only goes to 1.1-1.2bar but then coming above 4500rpm it easily holds 1.3bar, sometimes even 1.4bar and tailores off to around 1.2bar at the redline. Peak is around 1.45bar. I would prefer higher boost in lower revs to have more punch out of tight corners. Is this a characteristic of the ECU? What have others members experienced? Is it possible that my wastegate actuator is weak? Other possibilities?

Cheers in advance

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
mike, sounds the same as mine, have you changed the restrictor as well??

mine peaks to 1.5 then falls back to about 1.4.

barry was getting the same until he put in a apexi boost controller to change the curve to get me boost low down

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it is set that way to keep con rods from bending. Too much torque at 3500 and they might bend.

You can adjust boost level (held and peak) over the whole power band with the Apexi AVCR boost controller, the best available from what they say.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys

the restrictor has been changed. It seems they did it on purpose for safety reason. Don't know if fitting a boost controller is then a good idea because fueling, ignition has been mapped for this characteristic so increasing boost with an electr. boost controller could cause it to run lean.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when you say mapped, do you mean mapped for the sports ecu, as i am currently pondering getting a boost controller?

would this be the reason, people suggest the uprated fuel pump??, as i would rather not have to fork out for this as well (just because the boost controller is mucking up the ecu)

or have i got this all wrong??

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mine gave those symptoms ,and it was a split diafragm !
boost controller is the answer,but i have now also fitted pump ! ?
too busy at the moment to drive it let alone play around with things ,but should have some answers within a couple of weeks
sport ecu gave mine stronger bottom end,and more after 5k i belive

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lee

with mapped I mean the Sports ECU map can only cope with let's say 1.1-1.2bar boost in low revs (fueling, ignition etc). We tried different restrictor but anyone smaller than I've got now you could notice that it retards ignition.

With my car bottom end didn't change but after 4000rpm it goes like a rocket. Nice on track but not good for acceleration out of tight bends.

Boost controller and fuel pump is an expensive way to get the car to run as it should with this ECU.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ScoobyMike,Hi the problem you are you have is not connected to the ECU.The Sports ecu is there so you can increase boost without fuel cuts.It has an improved ignition curve and a fuelling map to give you more fuel when you need it.The problem is though that even though the map instructs more fuel with the existing fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator the fuel does not get delivered thats why you dont get the tourque or throttle response you desire.For performance you need fuel and boost, not just boost.I found before I uprated the pump and regulator that at 5500rpm and above my TME was running out of puff.I now find the car is much quicker on lower boost because of the fuelling and incedible at high boost.The car revs up quicker and is much smoother.Having your boost set by changing restrictors is a crude way to get performance as the boost curve is not set to match the gear you are in.

I have fitted the Apexi Boost controller ,plus pump and regulator .I get 1.45bar peak,and held in all gears I suggest you phone Clive at RC Developements on 01925 575 290 he does all my work ,mention my name and he will advise you.Fuel is important not just for power but to protect your engine.If you run high boost and you are running lean you can get detenation,thats bad news.Most engines that blow are not because of boost but inadequate fuelling.Hope this helps.Regards Barry:):)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scoobymike

The Apexi BC costs 4580 FRF ie 1028 SFR (GBP 435). Not too cheap, but when you dont need the boost (highway etc) you can adjust it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Barry

thanks for your response.

At what cost do I look at, Apexi boost controller, fuel pump and fp regulator? The other problem as I'm located in Switzerland is it difficult to map the Apexi boost controller? I've already read the manual and you can adjust loads of things!

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was told it is quite difficult to set up the Apexi BC. The guy I'm getting it from does it all the time though. Maybe I will be able to give you my settings (as a base)? Not sure if you can upload data though...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, setting up a boost controller ain't rocket science. Claudius, I think your salesman has wrapped you around his little finger. I bet he charges you seperately for the set-up. As long as you stay below dangerous boost levels, it's pretty much depending on how you want it. You can't break the turbo through running the wrong gain settings, so Scoobymike, just get one and that should be it. Fitting can be done by yourself too, as most boost controllers have instructions how to hook it up to the ECU and actuator.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys for your help

still undecided what to do. I haven't removed the grommet yet so I'll check if it helps. What puzzles me about the fuel pump is the fact that my car goes like stink in high revs so if the fuel pump was weak I should even more notice that in the upper rev range. Or am I wrong?

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think with the standard pump there is a possibility of slight fuel starvation at high revs when running 330|PLS| BHP, you might not even notice it but it may be just lean enough to hole a piston, this is not definitive as every car and pump is slightly different, and also dependant on the state of your fuel filter. Like changing the conrod bolts, it is a safety measure worth carrying out if you are running higher boost. It may be ok, but it may not. Again we are relying on the tuners who hopefully have carried out tests of pressure and flow rates, but thinking logically the standard car has 276 bhp and so there is no need for the manufacturer to fit a higher flow pump that is needed for standard bhp.

Clive

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has anyone really looked at the standard fuel pump?? If your experiencing low boost at low revs how on earth can that be low fuelling!! if the pump was having fueling problems at low revs, at high forget it. I have had mine checked with a wideband lamda and the injectors at 1.4 bar aren't even maxed out.

Personally, even with the actuator pipe not connected I still can't get more than 1.4bar in second at 4000rpm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wastegate actuators on Evo's are prone to failure. Mine recently failed, causing
a big boost spike, before boost would settle at 1.1.

That could be your problem, especially if your car is now a few year old like mine (evo 5, 98.1, 22k miles)

We replaced the actuator with a different unit from Turbo Technics (which needed
a little modifying to fit). Stock boost now sits dead on 0.65 !!!!!!!!!

An Evo5 is VERY *VERY!* slow at 0.65 kg/cm !!!!!!!! lol !

We then fitted a Blitz DSBC boost controller, turned the boost up to 1.15,
fitted an HKS intercooler, filled with Optimax (and Millers) and
the difference is INCREDIBLE !!!!!!!!!! (I replaced the fuel pump previously)

Out of interest, I have the Apexi AVCR boost controller on my supra
and the Blitz DSBC on my Evo. Yes, the Apexi is an incredible unit
with a lot of clever graphs,dials and accurate boost control, but
to be honest, the Blitz IMHO is a better unit due to ease of use,
build quality, discreet head unit and proper UK warranty.

(the boost control solenoid on the Blitz is literally about 4 times the
size/weight of the Apexi , I would assume that means its stronger
and less likely to break!)

Biggest advantage of the apexi is boost control in each gear,
very handy if your getting a lot of wheelspin in 1st and 2nd,
but I dont think that applies to many 4x4 owners,
although I did see a skyline at the pod spinning all four
wheels half way up the QTR mile !!!!!!!!!!!!! Geeeez !

Still managed an 11 second run.......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the ideas.

I don't think a have a problem with the wastegate actuator as I don't have boost spikes. Also the car has only covered 13000km.

I'll try to speak to a Ralliart technicians to check what they reckon. Do the Extreme versions show the same characteristic?

Cheers

Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.