Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. Just wondering how you guys go about storing youre evos over the winter time. What is the best way. I know dry storage, dont leave the handbrake on etc but looking for advice or opinions on how often to start and run the car? I usally fire it up every 2 weeks or so but some people advise to just leave it non started all over winter. I dont know if that would be bad or not as surely there is a chance of a lifter or valve sticking or seizing? Or maybe im wrong. Opinions please?

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
One older cars, not so much fuel injected but still to a degree i would imagine - when cold the engine puts extra fuel into the engine, this can lead to bore wash which will then cause extra wear. This is why the best way to warm a car is to drive it, not have it idling on the drive to warm up.

·
Registered
192 Posts
One older cars, not so much fuel injected but still to a degree i would imagine - when cold the engine puts extra fuel into the engine, this can lead to bore wash which will then cause extra wear. This is why the best way to warm a car is to drive it, not have it idling on the drive to warm up.
Correct, especially for petrol engines, as soon as possible drive it :)
The bigger problem than engine in the cold conditions are transmission and drivetrains, just imagine oil in the rear diff on -15, its like honey. You can WUP engine idling but all other systems are still cold. The only way to warm up all systems is to drive easily until is ready for next level :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Also Carbon build up and the fact you're not warming up any other mechanicals! (As above)

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Winter would be my favorite time to drive one.....what with all them wet, slippery roads..... perfect opportunity to say "vEeerrry veryy slippy" in a Finnish accent at every opportunity....which I do anyway.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don't have a garage so I just bought the best outdoor cover I could find on the web. I leave the handbrake off and every 2-3 weeks I start it up and give it a run out on a day that's dry. Given my limited options I'm not sure there's any more I can do. It's a shame as its a 28k mile example that has been kept on blocks in a garage for past 10years. But what was I going to do....? Not buy it!?!?

:adore: :mitsi:

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I don't have a garage so I just bought the best outdoor cover I could find on the web. I leave the handbrake off and every 2-3 weeks I start it up and give it a run out on a day that's dry. Given my limited options I'm not sure there's any more I can do. It's a shame as its a 28k mile example that has been kept on blocks in a garage for past 10years. But what was I going to do....? Not buy it!?!?

:adore: :mitsi:
If you have the money look into a Carcoon, I used one last winter and the car was as I left it 6 months before, perfectly protected.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you have the money look into a Carcoon, I used one last winter and the car was as I left it 6 months before, perfectly protected.
I suspect I will sell in the next year or two so might not be worth the investment, but I will certainly look into them :smthumbup

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi
I feel like a fish out of water here, replying to an EVO thread, but I have an EX2000 which is fully restored and have owned since 2000. The biggest problem is keeping the mice out of the car during winter storage, and apart from fitting a cat which doesn't need feeding I'm kind of stuck for ideas.

As the EX's are less fragile than EVO's , I find a prop up on stands, wrapping in plastic decorators plastic sheets, blankets with a final cover and several large bags of silica gel inside to keep the moisture out is fine. I've been storing it like this since they became slightly desirable (apart from the one I left outside on a farm...ahem) and always drain / refill oil and coolant before the spring. EX's are also quite temperamental when it comes to fuel so the tank gets filled with M99 or V power for the spring.

The problem with mice is that they can get in anywhere and have already caused me a problem by eating the foam in the seats.

Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Set some traps for them, I've never had a problem with mice in my garage

1 - 16 of 16 Posts