Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lads,
I have my Evo 2 GSR on the road, only in the last couple of days. I am waiting on getting an alarm fitted and for the time being I only have a chain on the wheel.
Does anyone else know of a handy means of immobilising the vehicle. I know on my old Toyota Gt Coupe I used to take the coil lead off,,, I was going to try and take one of the fuses but as the fusebox is in Jap.. I cant work out which fuse does what.

Any ideas lads,
Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Couple of things u cud do,

Disconnect the crank angle sensor , it's under the sparkplug cover on the VI , not sure on a II , this prevents the engine starting without damage.

Remove the ECU main fuse , if u look at yr main fuse box cover in the engine bay u shud see a symbol that resembles an engine , when u remove the cover there will be a fuse in that location , thats the one.
Again the engine will not start.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

I've used a huge chain with a chubb padlock around the steering and something structural for a few years now. It's been on a 309 Gti, Uno Turbo, Celica GT4 and diesel Passat http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/embarassed1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > and no-one has ever tried to steal them. Unfortunately, professional theaving scum bags will get the car no matted what, but the average ammatuer should see the chain and look for something easier. Apparantly thieves can get around the off the shelf stuff fairly easily so I think it is better having somthing different.

Ref disconnecting bits of the engine, I usually run a hidden switch to disconnect the feed to the fuel pump. In the past I've used a two way switch which illuminated an led when the pump was immobilised. At least the flashing led gives an indication that some type of security device may be fitted - if you don't have such, they may break in thinking the car is unprotected, often sha##ing the locks etc.

For obvious reasons, I won't divulge what the actual security is on my EVO apart from the chain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know about RHD cars, but my LHD Evo VI TME comes with an electronic immobilizer. Everyone I speak to says there is no way someone can start the car without the key.

Is the immobilizer really that reliable? I was thinking about putting a hidden gas pump switch connected to a led (I have done it in other cars before) but everyone says it's a waste.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rallyman,

Immobilisers are only as good as the person who fitted it. I have seen expensive alarms fitted where once the bonnet is open, the wiring to the alarm can be disconnected within seconds.

I think the modern immobilisers built into the ignition keys are better than after market items. With aftermarket items, the thief can find the circuit the immobiliser has been wired into and simply bypass it. The aftermarket fitters all tend to place the immobilisers in the same place and often break into exactly the same circuits http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > .

Fitting a switch into the 'gas' pump supply is still a good idea as only you know where the switch is and you can break into the loom anywhere as it runs down the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts