Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just cleaned my car after a long drive to manchester in the week, i am distressed (to say the least), front of the bonnet looks like i have been driving behind a road gritter for a week, i have more stone chips after 400 miles (6000 from new) than i did with 2 years in my calibra.

has anyone on here ever used one of the Mr Chips/Stone Away or any of the other mobile paint repairers?? or is it main dealer body shop for the silver tme??

lovely cars, shite paint these evo's

lee
(not so silver tme)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lee,

you're bang on there. i had mine for about a week before some flatbed wagon that obviously had some major bits of **** on cracked the no plate and put a ding in the bonnet. Being aluminium it all bends quite easily unfortunately. As you say paint is on the thin side but not as bad as the Fiat that i had before. You only had to brush past that to remove the paint.

I have tried one of those chipstick thingies that comes with the colour coded turtle wax and look like lipstick. I couldn't get to grips with it but HH6 had recommended it to me as he prefered it to touch up paint and his car is pristine.

I have the sill protector thingies on mine. these look good and mean the kids (and me) don't knacker the sills. These are from Ralliart but are probably somewhat pricy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have 2 say that after 2 years I have very few stone chips on the front of my silver VI.
Maybe some colours and years r better than others 4 this problem , mines a May '99.

The best solution if u have a large number of chips is respray the area , the chip and scratch guys r really only 4 the odd affliction.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have had my 5 for 2 months now! Cleaned it today, the front splitter is now white and silver, due to the number of new chips! I can only guess it's because I live in the country!

Will polish tomorrow (and touch up). Does anyone know if any polish is good for deflecting stones, etc?

I use Autoglym, doesn't seem to protect any better!

P

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car is booked in to have the splitter resprayed soon. A few thousand miles ago I had no chips and now they are everywhere. When it's done I'm getting the front end Stone Guarded. My old E4 did 50,000 miles and looked a real mess at the front and needed the whole front end resprayed. Im not letting it happen this time so getting it sorted now.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geezers have had the same problem with my evo7. It is black the worst colour to have stone chips on, the reason why cause when u polish it the polish gets stuck in the stone chips and shows up white AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH help me. Had the car only 6 months from new. Is there any thing i can do inorder to hide these stone chips other respary it dudes. Any kind of help will do dudes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's nothing you can do except respray it. Have it done by professionnals, they do it once and that's it.

Wait until after the track day to do this :D My front bumper looks like a table tennis net after the track day. All these beemers spinning in front of me, getting stones onto the track. Hey droid, that's what happens when you really try to keep up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My front spoiler and bumper is chipped to f*ck, the bonnet and front wings are dented and pebble dashed like hell from stones and even the A-pillars and roof are stoned chipped. Comes with the territory of driving fast on road and track I'm afraid. Can't say it bothers me, I bought it for how it drives, not what the paint looks like!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lee,

As Evoboy says, if its a large number then a proper respray is best I believe. I once used ChipsAway for a couple of scratches and a few minor chips and they were excellent, couldn't fault 'em. I believe their website is http://www.chipsaway.co.uk but could be wrong at this time of the morning!

Good luck with the chips.

Davy T

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
have any of you seen those leather look front cover things they put on cars abroad. mainly in the states i think.
they look good

NOT!.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those things r called BRAS !!!!!!!!
Just the right name , u'd have 2 b a tit to use 1 :) :) :)

On the chips subject , I avoid following vehicles closely on motorways , that is way more than safety distance , that and the fact mine is stored over winter probably helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am having the front of my evo 6 gsr resprayed under warannty as it was chiped in under 1000 miles
it goes in on thursday this week but i have had the car since Aprill but has taked till now to get them to do it , it amasing what seeing them face to face can do , every time i phoned them they just foged me off but when i went in and played heel they booked it in straight away .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts