Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After My VI was recovered a couple of weeks ago, I received my offer, and I asked if I could buy my VI back. There was some damge to the interior, and they swapped the wheels, they cut out the bulkhead chassis number (apparently the only one). So it was written off by the insurance company. I asked if I could buy it back and the answer was no.. they said due to the identity having been changed the would not allow the vehicle back on the road, even though I offered to return it to it's original condition.

Are there any insurance bods who know whether this is common practice.

Johnie No *****

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds plausible, They said before declining my request that they normally scrap for 30% of the payout value, which would mean about 3k.

That would be a cheap track car.

Johnnie no *****

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
bit off topic mate but was yours the one that was smashed in oldbury wolverhampton road with a load of ciggarettes in it seem to remember the 4 blokes got busted up in that crash

i may have you confused with another stolen one

just wondering if it was yours thats all :confused:

·
Registered
94 Posts
you should be aloud it back. it may result in you having to register as a Q plate. but if you havent taken a pay out you are entitled for it back, otherwise whats the point in insurance!!

your best bet would be a combination of citizens advice and the DVLA, at the end of the day its them who decide whats allowed on the road and whats not, not your insurance company!

out of interest what company was it?

·
Twincharger Guru
4,560 Posts
When I was involved in the motor insurance industry most comprehensive policies state that if a payout is made the salvage becomes the sole property of the insurance company so if you read through your policy it'll probably say something aout it there. Normally that can't be argued with.

It was normal if you were claiming from a third party to offer the salvage back to the owner for the same as the highest bid from salvage companies or a percentage of the pre-damage value

I can understand the company not wanting to give the car back because its identity is gone but you could try and arrange for the car the be properly re- identified at your cost but at the insurance company's arrangement . If you harass them enough they may allow you this or as mentioned before it may be able to be registered on a Q plate with a fresh chassis number.

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,879 Posts
JohnnieNoStars said:
After My VI was recovered a couple of weeks ago, I received my offer, and I asked if I could buy my VI back. There was some damge to the interior, and they swapped the wheels, they cut out the bulkhead chassis number (apparently the only one). So it was written off by the insurance company. I asked if I could buy it back and the answer was no.. they said due to the identity having been changed the would not allow the vehicle back on the road, even though I offered to return it to it's original condition.

Are there any insurance bods who know whether this is common practice.

Johnie No *****
When a car is written off it (and any private plate that was on it) is the property of the insurance company and they can do what they want with it. They are under no obligation to sell it back to you.

·
Registered
634 Posts
GENERALLY A CAR IS ONLY WORTH 10% OF ITS ORIGINAL VALUE WHEN PAIDOUT BY INSURANCE

MAYBE SOME GUY IN THE INSURANCE COMPANY WANTS YOR CAR FOR THEMSELVE SO THE'RE REFUSING TO SELL TO YOU

WHAT CAT IS IT IN?? C OR D

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
JohnnieNoStars said:
they said due to the identity having been changed the would not allow the vehicle back on the road, even though I offered to return it to it's original condition.
That's the exact reason you can't have it back - you can never prove the identity now it's been removed therefore it's probably been set as a cat B. The salvage yard will only sell to people with a breakers license & hence the car will be broken up for spares.

If cat b the car will never go back on the road.

Your only chance of getting it back is to find out where it is / find someone with a breakers license / if it's auctioned off they can bid and hopefully win it - then you can break it with them & sell the bits off.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stolen

It was Norwich union,

Aidy is right in as much as I had to get a letter from them to confirm that they are not interested in my private reg, otherwise I would have lost that too.

I think I have lost any bargaining power now I have accepted the Cheque.

They did tell me thet if I contacted Blue Circle the salvage company, I could deal with them.

Johnnie No *****

·
Registered
10,906 Posts
Madmac, RSGeoff etc. are all correct. Even if you could persuade the salvage buyer to sell it back to you, to be honest once a car has had it's identity messed with it's not worth having anyway, you'll never get anyone to pay you anything like it's true value should you ever sell it, regardless of how much money you spend on restoring it. Much as I'm sure you loved that car, best to move on and find another one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry to hear that Johnie.
Hope the scum that nicked it got what they deserve.
What security devices did you have on it?

I had a run in with an insurance company some years ago. They did me out of £5,000. For the sake of One day over the time limit, but I had told them months in advance.
In the good old navy tradition way anchors.
Nothing I could do about it either.

Iain

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
You can buy it of the salvage company no problem

You will just never be able to register it for the road :(

Jez

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stolen

Cobra 600 concept.

I think they picked it up, onto a transporter with alarm going until battery flattened. (about 5 Mins in a VI) ;) Then they messed with the interior looking for a tracker.

Johnnie No *****

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Re: Stolen

JohnnieNoStars said:
Aidy is right in as much as I had to get a letter from them to confirm that they are not interested in my private reg, otherwise I would have lost that too.
This is why, if you have a private plate worth anything, you really need to agree in advance with the underwriter / broker what will happen to it in case of a write off. I have no illusion that if you insured a vehicle with the plate "A1" that was subsequently trashed, you would not get it back without an explicit prior agreement (that plate in itself will pay for the vehicle and probably also net a profit when auctioned off).

Once you've accepted the write off payment the vehicle is no longer yours. As far as I am aware you can contest the payment and ask for the vehicle back instead, but that is is lieu of any payment at all.

On a side note, how would someone go about getting a breakers license? I'm assuming it's no harder than getting an MSA or shotgun license, and that you just need to complete the paperwork and pay the fee.

·
Registered
755 Posts
well i dont know about the brakers part but to get on bluecycle itself you ahve to prove your in the motor trade.. so i assuem you would have to prove your a braker... eg. send them a photocopy of all the licences u need to be a braker.. stuff like that..

·
Registered
117 Posts
itmustbejock said:
The people that will have it are www.bluecycle.co.uk

My lass used to work for them

If the car has no id it will be a cat b write off thats for shure m8
Correct,bluecycle is owned by norwich union,a friend of mine buys from there so il ask him to keep his eyes open for it ;) Dont think about registering with them tho as it took him nearly a year to get registered.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts