Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if ya going to buy a stolen recovered car does it effect your insurance?

and if your selling a stolen recovered car does it effect the resale price even though all locks alarm immobiliser changed?

nick

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
pos said:
if ya going to buy a stolen recovered car does it effect your insurance?

and if your selling a stolen recovered car does it effect the resale price even though all locks alarm immobiliser changed?

nick
Should not really affect the insurance but it most definately affects the resale value.

If a car is on the stolen/recovered register then it best be cheap, because it will be worth less come time to sell. Not a problem if it is, pay less for it, get less when you sell it, just don't pay book.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Hi Pos,
If you buy any HPI listed car you will find if it gets nicked or badly bent the amount paid to you by the insurance company will be far lower than a non recorded one....however...your insurance premium will be just as expensive!!!
The only upside to all this is that it should be a lot cheaper when you originally buy it so you have to weigh up your risks. You may be able to get the car re-classified on the list but i'm not sure if this would increase it's value under the insurers eyes if they were forced to have to pay out...probably not.
Many thanks for posting that link for me warning all you guys some **** has hijacked my ad on ebay to rob an unsuspecting customer.
Dave.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its the re-classified bit im not sure about.

if i bought a stolen recovered car at a bargain price,and the locks were unaffected and their a cat one been put on it,and everything been like that the last 2years everything would just be like anyone else's car,how would i go about getting it back on the normal books? if thats possible.
whats to say a stolen recovered car is stolen recovered?
is it wrote on the v5 or something?

·
Premium Member
22,007 Posts
pos said:
its the re-classified bit im not sure about.

if i bought a stolen recovered car at a bargain price,and the locks were unaffected and their a cat one been put on it,and everything been like that the last 2years everything would just be like anyone else's car,how would i go about getting it back on the normal books? if thats possible.
whats to say a stolen recovered car is stolen recovered?
is it wrote on the v5 or something?
Its not wrote on the V5 or anything like that, it just shows on a HPI check, as long as a car is not specified as spares only, it can be repaired and put back on the road, but its class of write off is still recorded on the HPI.

I used to repair light damaged cars that were listed, and we attempted using all main dealer parts, and welding only on original welds, ie the car was like new when we had finished, with the intention of taking the cars off the list. When we looked into this, it was not easy and we decided not to bother.

I can't remember what was involved, but it wasn't easy to do. Saying all this, this was 10 years ago, so things may have changed.

As far as insurance payout, we were told in event of an accident, the maximum payout we would recieve would be 70% of the book value for the car at the time of the acciddent, even though insurance wasn't any cheaper. Again all this was 10 years ago

Stu

·
Registered
317 Posts
Going from memory here...

I do know that there are various categories for accident damaged cars (A to D I believe) which vary according to the extent of damage. A and B are complete write off's and should never been allowed back on the road again, Cat C's can be repaired but are quite extensively damaged and Cat D's are the least damaged cars and include non damaged stolen/recovered cars.

Cars written off will appear on HPI reports according to the Cat rating and they cannot be removed even if repaired...however...cars that have been proffesionally repaired can go through an extensive test (like a very stringent MOT test) and be reclassified as "Condition Inspected" which means they are roadworthy. There are few centres around the UK that do the tests (Autoline) and costs a few hundred quid to do. The car will always be on the register though, just as Condition Inspected.

Best to find out what category your car is listed as as sometimes Stolen/Recovered cars do not get listed officially at all (classed as Cat E or X, "non recorded").

1 - 6 of 6 Posts